clownfish laying in sand

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jewels_04, Jan 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

So this morning everything was fine our clownfish was acting normal and eating fine. This afternoon I walk in and she is motionless on her side in the sand so I think she is dead but when I walk past she jumps up and starts wagging around. A couple hours later I walk in and find her in the same spot in the sand(next to the glass) and again when I walk by she hops up and starts wagging around. I come home from work a little later again same spot in the sand on her side. I fed the tank and she ate like a pig, as usual.

She just keeps laying on the sand on her side. We have had her for almost a week now and no problems until this afternoon. Ammonia nitrites are 0 nitrates are only slight it's about 76 salinity is 1.023. All the other fish crabs and snails seem fine.

2. Click Here!

3. ccreviston74

ccreviston74 Astrea Snail

I have two new clowns acting similarly last night - after eating like pigs. Was trying to feed enough that a couple pieces would make it past them to the cleaner shrimp waiting patiently below, but they just kept eating. Later on, they were both floating in the top corners of the tank, listing over on their sides, fins bobbing in and out of the water. Never seen them act like that, so worried and tested everything - all fine. Shrimp, crabs, and snails were ask fine, so I figured out would be okay, as they are normally more affected by water quality. This morning they ate like pigs again. I figure they are finally feeling moved in enough to relax.

4. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

clowns are funny. mine does the same thing, and I'm figuring he's just comfortable, and found his spot. been like that for both tanks, hell of personalities ;D

5. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

I'm wondering can they become constipated and if so would they display this type of behavior. Her belly seems very "full" I know the goldfish can get overfed but they get the opposite problem as this.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you mean to post nitrates are 76 or is that the temp?

And may we please have an image :).

7. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Man all these threads about funny clowns are making anxious to get my pair!!!:)

8. Click Here!

9. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

The temp is at 76. I'll try to snap pics. Whenever I get up to the tank she hops up like nothing happened. I think we're gonna fast her tonight and possibly the morning. See if that helps.

10. jewels_04

jewels_04 Astrea Snail

Well she seems to be doing better and has been swimming as usual. We haven't fed her, figure she can skip her dinner and breakfast. What is an appropriate amount to feed her? We've been feeding her 3x a day just because she seemed a little thin when we got her. But I think now she's being overfed.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

3x a day? IMHO way too much. Every other day if not once every 3 days is more than adequate. Fish can and will eat themselves to death.

12. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

yeah once a day is plenty for a clown. if you want you can add a seaweed clip to the tank for it to graze on. I'm gladding he's doing ok.