clownfish + ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by manda, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. manda

manda Plankton

my guy called our LFS (not petco, the place we get our saltwater supplies & fish from) and he says it sounds like bacterial from the anemone from what my guy described to them on the phone. we're going to bring a water sample in to them, since he said he can test for that for us. ugh i told my guy he is not allowed to be anything live from petco again.

2. Click Here!

3. manda

manda Plankton

checked on fish during lunch when I dropped by to put the new filters in. the fish is actually swimming around (not darting or swimming like it's itchy). guy said he fed him a little and the fish nibbled on it. He looks like he is doing better. I am hoping our little fish pulls through this - my guy has learned his lesson. no anemone until we have an established tank w/ all correct stuff, and no buying stuff from petco.

4. manda

manda Plankton

well just got home from work. guy said the clown started swimming vertically, and when i got home, found him up in the powerhead dead (yes there is a grate on the bottom so he wasn't suck into it at all). not sure what happened .... we're going to go by the fish store and see if they can't help figure out.

5. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

my suggestion is to treat the tank for a week with melafix, then do a nice 25% water change. Then let it set fishless for quite some time. Without a host fish, whatever bacterial infection you have will die.

6. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

I'm starting to feel as though this was a case of Brooklynellosis. Have you had an opportunity to read the article that I posted earlier? It may help you to ident what truly killed your clownfish.

7. manda

manda Plankton

we're going to treat the tank, and not put fish back in it for probably a long time as we are getting a 55 tank w/ all needed equipment and already setup as an established saltwater tank (8+ years). we still think it was partly brought on by the anemone as that is when it all started.. either way we're going to treat the tank and leave it fishless.