clownfish + ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by manda, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. manda

manda Plankton

We've had our clownfish for about 2, 2 1/2 weeks now; a couple snails, emerald crab, and cleanership, 2 large live rock + 2 small live rock, in a 29 gal tank with filter + powerhead, the temp is steady at 80F and all values are normal (amonia, nitrite, nitrate = 0, salinity = 1.022/1.023, php = 8.2-8.4) and have been since we added the fish (which was after the tank fully cycled w/ live rock + snails).

my *loving* husband decided he wanted an anemone and got a $20 sebae from Petco (BAD husband) well a couple days later (no surprise) the foot was falling apart and i told him to get that out of there ASAP as I knew it was toast. well, now just a day later our clownfish (which has been doing awesome) was showing a thin film starting at the head going about 1/2 way down - it did not have this this morning (12 hours ago). it is now sitting at the bottom of the tank breathing heavy with fins clamped.

being late Petco was the only place open and doing quick research possibly ich or clownfish disease (i think the damn anemone brought it to the tank honestly). of course the only thing they have is ich-attack so that's what i ended buying and have put in the first dose.

my camera is broke or i'd take a picture but looking if i'm possibly treating for the right disease. we didn't notice any film on the fish at noon, and the fish ate like a pig like usual for lunch. when we got home about 5:30, he had this film over the front and won't eat.

any ideas or something that might help is appreaciated.

i've done freshwater tanks before, this is our first saltwater tank. i've never had any fish problems before (betta died of old age, and koi i had were given to a friend with a big enough tank for them to grow fullsize with more than enough room.

he's since moved to the bank of the tank behind the live rock but is suspended in the water, not sitting on the tank floor anymore.

2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Fill out the form in my signature. It'll help me help you, come to think of it the FAQ might be useful too!

4. manda

manda Plankton

sorry - wanted to get this posted before i forgot what i was going to type =p

Brief description of the problem: see above ^^^^^^
    A picture(s) will also help.
    PARAMETERS (important)
    Temperature: 80-81F
    PH: 8.2-8.4
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Salinity: 1.022-1.023
    dKH/KH/Alkalinity: no test
    Magnesium:no test
    Calcium:no test
    Phosphate:no test
    Test kits you own: API saltwater master test kit
    Liquid or Strips: liquid
    Brand Name:API
    Are they Expired?: no

Tank size? 29
    Estimated total system?

Reef, fish only or, freshwater? 1 clownfish + live rock

Current inhabitants? What and how many? 1 clownfish
    Clean up crew? 2 snails, 1 emerald crab, 1 cleaner shrip

How long has your tank been set-up? approx 1 month

Substrate.
    Type? live sand
    Depth? 1 - 1.5 inch

Live rock? yes
    How much? 6lbs
    Did you recently add some? 1 week ago

Filtration.
    Type? regent filter system (came w/ tank, no manual)
    Protein skimmer? no
    Do you wet or dry skim? n/a
    Maintenance schedule for filtration? bought filter system w/ new filters - not changed yet
    Drilled tank/hang on back overflow? no
    Sump/refugium. What's in it and how much? no
    Macro? What kind? no

Lighting.
    Lighting type? hood light - temporary as are picking up 55gal saltrwater tank w/ $$$$$$ light
    Age of bulbs? n/a - picked up current tank off craigslist for temporary use

Feeding
    What? forumula1
    How much? small amounts
    How often? 2-3 times day (very small amounts each time)

Water change schedule.
    How much? none yet
    How often?
    What salt brand? instant ocean sea salt
    Water source? tap

Additives/supplements used?
    bio spira
    essential elements

Do you have a ground probe? no
    What kind of flow does your tank have? none

Any additional info you would like to share.... Including anything different that you have done/not done.

Let's get to the bottom of this. Any of the above info that is questionable to you is pertinent to keeping a happy/healthy tank/wallet.

5. manda

manda Plankton

the fish is also randomly swimming in front of the current from the powerhead, almost as if it alleviates any itching it has (which it will sometimes swim like it's very itchy)

please let me know if any other info needed (or if i missed doing something correctly)

6. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

It's possible you're overfeeding as most feed a reasonable amount every 1-2 days.
    (complete speculation warning)It's possible the frequent feedings are causing stress though I've never heard of such a thing(end speculation warning)
    I've got my FAQ and I discuss anemones, they're tricky to keep and they can crash a tank.

If you've got another tank you can remove the Clown and treat it in a QT tank (if you have to a 10 gallon tank with salt water and no rock/sand will work in a pinch as it won't have to cycle) Careful monitoring (every 12 hours or so) and WC's will have to be done to deal with the uncycled tank to keep ammonia below 1ppm. Have at least 2x the tank volume in salt water.

(There are people out here who break every rule I'm going to mention below, and do fine, but they're usually a useful rule of thumb especially since you don't have good lighting yet)
    anemones are hard to keep
    anemones should not be kept in young tanks
    anemones need to be closely monitored
    anemones need target feeding (clownfish do this for you!) and good light.
    failing this anemones will die and crash a tank.

7. manda

manda Plankton

trust me i gave my guy hell for that anemone and told him it was too soon but didn't listen. the fish eats maybe 1/2 of what is put in there (which is not even enough to fill underneath my nail) and the cleaner shrimp grabs the rest. haven't seen any signs of over-feeding as no food is left in tank. he's shown no signs of stress since being in the tank - even the very first day. this literally happened out of no-where (unless there was a underlying issue we didn't know and it has no reared it's ugly head). he's been super happy and playful

unfortunately the only extra tank i have around the filter system is broke on it (which is part of the hood). we should be picking up our new 55 gal system hopefully next weekend (which is an already established system) so will be turning this 30 gal into our quarantine/hospital tank =p not planning on moving the live rock out of it either so as not to risk bringing anything into this new tank we're getting.

the anemone was only in the tank maybe 1 1/2 days before i told him to remove it because the bottom of it looked funky, and discovered it was getting soft. i think it being from petco was the first problem, and might of already had something going on w/ it we didn't know. told my guy the only stuff we can buy there must be fake =p

we're definitely trying to do this all the right way.

8. Click Here!

9. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

You said "breathing heavy". Is is rapid respiration, or is is slow and labored? Do the fish show signs of "salt-like spots"? Is there a "glazing" on the skin of the fish? This almost sounds more like "Brooklynellosis" or maybe a toxin released by the anemone (i hope this is the case). Read here for Brooklynellosis (aka clownfish disease) ident. Brooklynella

10. manda

manda Plankton

it is rapid heavy breathing. i have not seen any white spots (which i know is usually associated with ich)

the skin isn't really glazed so much as a thin whitish film (excess mucas?) starting at the head of the fish. He's still alive this morning, breathing heavy still but alive. i left the tank light off this morning but will turn it on at lunch to check the color of him. i really wish my camera wasn't broke so i could take a clear picture >:-/

i'm hoping he makes it - in which case we'll be moving him to the 55gal tank we are getting. if he does, are there products that are recommended to add to the tank to help bring his immune system back up and whatnot?

11. lotzofish

lotzofish Fire Worm

Do you run with carbon? If so, I recommend replacing it now to assist in absorbing any chemical contaminates that could have resulted from the dying anemone.

12. manda

manda Plankton

i need to run to the store to get new filter carbon inserts - i didn't see the size i needed at petco last night, so will be going to the one across town today during lunch. this stuff *always* has to happen when stores are closed or close to closing.