Urgent Clownfish got caught in powerhead!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

My female clown got caught in my mj1200 powerhead! i quickly noticed and turned off the powerhead she is now doing ok and swimming ok but has a sunken in imprent on one of her sides, should she be and should her body go back to normal?

edit: looks like it tore off part of her skin should it heal over time? no qt or hospital tank

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I guess just keep her fed and stress to a minimum, only thing to do now is wait and see how she does.
    Hope she makes out okay,
    Jake

1 person likes this.
  4. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Hopefully so. If she is free swimming, she most likely didn't break her vertebrae etc.

I think you should be in the clear if she is looking ok and not looking stressed from injury. Keep an eye on the wound.

Clowns will be clowns. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ah that's terrible!! I don't think there's anything you can do except hope it heals. I really hope she pulls through!

1 person likes this.
  6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea shes swimming around ok not as active, i think my cleaner shrimp notices the open wound, he's trying to clean her but shes not letting him, i just feel really bad, it was right after i did maintance, this is the first injury in my tank so far

7. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Things happen. It's not your fault. Remember the average size of a clownfish brain is a lint ball. hahaha

No seriously, just observe and report. I wouldn't throw out the possibility of an antibiotic dip in the future if things turn. I would take a baseline picture of it and label the date and time. Then take pics throughout the week and compare results.

:::Mojo sent::::

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i just feel so bad for her, if i wasnt here, i think she would have died because she couldnt get herself unstuck, i had to completly turn off the powerhead then she freed herself i'll have a pic up in a minute

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

here are the best pics i was able to get *sorry for the flash* you also cant really see the what appears to be open flesh, im thinking it is because of how my cleaner shrimp is really trying to clean her, but even when injured, she is still stubbern

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Sorry to hear this. I think we have all experienced this at one time or another. Keep observing her.

Don't mean to be a downer, but I had a small sailfin tang get caught on the same kind of powerhead. Got it off within a couple of minutes and for the next several days it seemed fine. Even though all "seemed" ok, I lost her about 10 days later. Clownfish are pretty hardy though, so I wish you better luck than I had.

1 person likes this.
  12. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

Yea the area may just be too sensitive for the cleaner right now.

BEAUTIFUL clwonfish btw!!!!!!!!