Clownfish Fry Raising Journal Update 05/24/12

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Tropical Addict, Jan 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

How is everything going for you fine folks?

2. Click Here!

3. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

Ah! You guys are lucky. My male keeps eating the eggs i think.

4. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Things are going well, thanks. We're just waiting for the next clutch of eggs which should be this Sunday if they are consistent. Phyto is going strong and the rot population is growing nicely as well. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to start my second culture of rotifers here within the next few days. We also got black construction paper to black out the sides of the fry tank. How have you been?

5. doylef4i

I'm doing great.I had to let the last hatch go because I didn't have any rots.I've got 2 milloin coming from reeds tomorrow.My clowns just laid the biggest nest I've ever had- about 300+ eggs.;DJust keep an eye out for the fat belly-mine looks like it swallowed a marble about 2 days before she lays.I wish you guys alot of luck.Keep up the good work.;)

6. xjaydub20x

Here is my current photo/rotifer setup. Rotifer population EXPLODED over the past day or two! An interesting observation with the phyto... The bottle on the left is obviously the oldest and densest, but it's the other two bottles I'm talking about. The bottle in the middle was seeded with almost 60% phyto and the bottle on the right was seeded with only 40% phyto but had FAF Micro Algae Grow added. In only a few days the fertilized culture on the right surpassed the one in the middle. That stuff does it's job!

Attached Files:

7. dand355

dand355 Astrea Snail

im not a breeder but saweet , love clowns

8. Click Here!

9. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

The clowns have laid another batch of eggs! We found them tonight. They tried to be sneaky and lay them inside the skull. Luckily we noticed them going inside it a lot and looked.lol We have a TON of rots ready for them. Hopefully we'll get a survivor this go around.

10. doylef4i

Congrats.I wish you lots of luck with this go around.Hopefully tonight i'll have some more larvae.

11. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

Do you guys feed the night of the hatch? my rotifers wont come till tomorrow. Do you think my fry will be okay? they are gonna hatch tonight.

12. xjaydub20x

This will be the first hatch that we actually had rotifers. I think we're going to have the hatch tank full of rotifers with enough algae to sustain the rotifers on the night of the hatch. Not sure if they hatch out and have an appetite immediately, but it won't hurt to have food in there for when they do get hungry. Our last hatch seemed to die within a few hours - this may have been due to lack of food or other parameters, not sure. I need to do some more reading before Sunday/Monday when our latest batch of eggs is due to hatch.

In your situation, if you still have some fry swimming when your rotifers arrive, throw some in. If your fry don't make it till then, start growing your rotifer population so you're ready for next time. Sadly, that is what we had to do last time. Now I have a TON of rotifers! :)