Clownfish Fry Raising Journal Update 05/24/12

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Tropical Addict, Jan 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Sorry to hear this. Raising fry is a lot of hard work. It's a science really. To get more hatches, you have to have a steady slow stream of air bubbles to aerate over the eggs to keep them from going bad. Not too fast to damage them, not too small to cause air pockets that cause algae, etc.
    This is a great read/thread on raising clownfish on Reef Sanctuary. I picked up my picassos from her.
    Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!
    Best of luck on your next hatching! We're rooting for you!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Congratulations on the last hatch. I am sure with more hatches you will see a higher success rate.

4. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks guys! I'm sure it's going to take quite a few hatches to get in the swing of things. Thanks for the link! Any info is helpful, I'm hoping the pick up Joyce Wilkerson's clownfish book tomorrow.

5. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Thanks TigerMike, that is a great link. I'm only on page 21 of 121 and even more excited to figure this process out and successfully raise some babies. I think our biggest setback with this hatch was an insufficient amount of rotifers. Time is on our side though for the next batch of eggs. Can't wait to try again!

6. mr_z

mr_z Bristle Worm

this is so cool lol. cant wait to see them grow lol

7. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Picked up a copy of Clownfishes today. I think this is going to be very helpful!

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Any survivor?How are your rots and plankton going?

10. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Photo is doing great. Split the first culture a few days ago so I know have 2x 2 liter bottles going. I'm not sure about the rots. It looks like there is some action in there, but it's hard to tell. They are currently in a 5g tank with about 1 liter of slightly green water. According to the instructions provided by FAF, I can double their water volume today (day 4).

No fry survived the first hatch - not enough rotifers I believe. The eggs hatched when our rotifer culture was only 1-2 days old.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you black out the sides of the fry tank yet? Seems like the fry spend less time having to look for the food source and are better able to see it against a dark back round. The fry also do not gather around a light source as well saving precious energy. I agree a more concentrated culture will assist greatly as well. Sound like you are moving in the right direction. I took me 4 hatches to get a few fry to meta and roughly 10 hatches to raise them past meta.

Joyce Wilkersons book will be invaluable as a good reference guide. It was for me in my journey into raising the fry.

I like Pickles thread on nanoreef.com because it goes through a lot of failures and trouble shooting. Long read but worth it.

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge - Nano-Reef.com Forums

12. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I have got a lot of great info from this thread alone.Pickle is very helpful as are many of the people on his thread.It is very long but worth the read.