Clownfish Fry Raising Journal Update 05/24/12

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Tropical Addict, Jan 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Rotifers are started... It was recommended to use the petri dish that the phyto came on. First batch of phytoplankton is getting a nice dark green... Should be ready to split soon. Here is a pic of our 2.5 gallon hatch tank. The skull is a duplicate of the one that the clowns lay their eggs on already. We "curing" it so to speak. On hatch night, we'll swap one out for the other so the clowns won't feel like they got robbed :).

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

That's a great idea! I'll find some black construction paper to black out the sides until I can paint it.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Thts awsome!

Do you know how much longer they ahve till they hatch?

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

You guys aren't far from me at all. Best of luck to you two!!! My picassos haven't laid any eggs yet, they still bicker at each other. The female is significantly bigger than the male now, but she still bullies him a bit. I need to get my 55g up and running and get them in that tank soon.
    Another suggestion is to use a low intensity light so the fry can see the rotifers. Also, use an air driven sponge filter.
    Aquarium Internal Filters: ATI Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters at Foster and Smith Aquatics

6. Tropical Addict

Any night now!

7. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I would only reccomend painting 3 sides and use black construction paper on the other.Once the fry are about a week old you can take the paper off the side to see them easier.You might want to look into getting a Otohime Starter Kit from Reed Mariculture.It will be your next step in feeding the fry as they grow.Good luck and make sure to turn your pumps off for at least an hour after lights out.If you don't see any fry then turn them back on and wait till tomorrow night.
    Daniel

8. Click Here!

9. Tropical Addict

The first egg has hatched! The fry is actually in the pic somewhere. Since the first one hatched we moved the skull into the two gal. Only turned the lights on to take a quick pic and some video which I'll post tomorrow. Hopefully I get better pics and video of all the frys tomorrow.

Attached Files:

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ooooh so exciting!!! Good luck mama!!

11. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

Any news on the fry?!

12. Tropical Addict

Only half of the fry's hatched. There are still some unhatched egg's on the skull. Sadly I only see two or three that are still alive. We put rotifers in with them but I don't think there was enough. I think we needed more time to culture the rotifers. However, my female is already fat again so hopefully they'll be laying more eggs soon. The Rotifers are being cultured now so hopefully we'll have more than enough for the next batch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRtXbTTWW4M&feature=youtube_gdata_player Here is a vid of the first fry. Very blurry (taken on my iphone)but you can see him. I'll post clearer pics later.