Clownfish Fry Raising Journal Update 05/24/12

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Tropical Addict, Jan 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Haha That was the algae growing. Me either! I hope some of them make it!

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Have you got your rots going yet?What day are the eggs on?I wish you the best of luck.
    Daniel

4. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Hey Daniel,
    Our eggs are on day 6 now. We haven't started the rotifers yet because we were waiting for our green water to be ready to sustain the rotifers. I know we're lagging and may not be ready for this hatch, but we'll definitely be ready for the next one. We didn't get all this started earlier because of $ and we were worried that we threw the clowns off... We actually found the first batch of eggs by accident as we were doubling the amount of live rock and rearranging the aquascape. When my wife went to move the skull, she felt the eggs. She was sad when she read about not changing anything because it might cause the clowns to stop laying. We watched them everyday hoping to see eggs again and luckily 21 days later we saw more eggs. We know almost exactly when they were laid, so we're counting the days to hatch to be able to predict it in the future. Hoping to get the rotifers started today or tomorrow.

Your fry still doing good? Were yours black n whites?

Joey

5. btcole333

btcole333 Feather Duster

How long does it take them to hatch ? Super cool !

6. doylef4i

It depends on temp.It can take anywhere from 7 to 12 days.

7. doylef4i

You might have just enough time but if you don't; don't try to rush it.They should lay again a few days after hatch night.My babies are 41 days old and still doing great just slowly stepping up the food size. The 4 lone survivors I have all have head stipes and have the start of there second stripe.They are tomato clowns so they will lose the second stripe as they age.In other good news my clowns finally laid again after 49 days of no eggs.Keep us posted and sorry about the thread jacking.If you folks have any questions just ask and I'll try to help anyway I can.
    Daniel

8. Click Here!

9. Tropical Addict

Feel free to hijack. You have some great information. Picked up our fry tank and heater yesterday! It's a little 5 and a half gal.

Attached Files:

10. Tropical Addict

Went ahead and got a 2 gal for the fry's. As well as a new skull for the clowns when we take the their other one with the eggs out. If we're able to keep the fry's alive as they get bigger we'll move them to the 5 gal and make room in the 2 gal for the next batch.

Attached Files:

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

This is so exciting!!! I feel so anxious waiting for news! lol

12. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if the following advice has already been stated.
    I would recommend blacking out at least 3 sides of the tank because it makes it much easier for the fry to locate and strike the live Rotifers. I did this and my frys' little bellies were silver they were so stuffed with Rotifers.

Happy Aqua-culturing!