Clownfish Disease question

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Travis, Feb 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

I have looked up as much as I could until I posted here on why my clownfish are dying. Can my new tank (2 months aged now) be giving my clownfish the clownfish disease, or are they comming from the LFS with it? I had the first two die within 24 hours and the last two within 48 hours. I tried after finding out what they had to treat the last on in a quarantine tank, it was too late. Is my tank now infested with this?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Have you tested your water? Did they have little white dots?

4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

You'll have to be a bit more specific than the clownfish disease. Also, what are your water params?

5. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

I believe it is brooklynella.
    ph=8.4
    ammonia=0
    nitrite=0
    nitrate=20
    30gallon tank
    60lbs live rock
    ro/di water

The fish have a silky white texture that isnt part of them. A few spots look like string. It is around the gills and head area. They are not dots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

could be gill disease. probably from an infested bunch.

7. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

If I do have brooklynella in the tank how long will it survive in my tank? Will it host off of the snails and crabs?

8. Click Here!

9. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say your tank's only 2 months old? Are you sure it has cycled? if your tank has cycled....How are you aclimating the fish? do you do a temp. only aclimation or do you add aquarium water slowly for about 30 mins?

Also, try running a UV sterelizer, it will kill any free floating harmful organisms that might residing in your tank. This unit by Current USA is awesome, you can use inline with a canister filter or with a powerhead, it comes with all the plumbing supplies, I have the 15w, you may only need the 8w for your tank. Aquarium Ultraviolet Sterilizers: Gamma UV Sterilizer

10. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

Those readings were between fish deaths, yes the tank is cycled. I did a drip for 30 min on all four fish. I did everything text book only to fail.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Should have hit the tank with Mardles marine Maracyin 1 or two if you see no change in a day or so had to tell if you have a Gram positive or negative bacterium the antibiotic would have knock the marine velvet right out.. Always at the first sign of something effecting their skin get the antibiotics out. did their eyes ever look cloudy and white ? Better luck in the future.. But with all clown's I'd dose the tank at Half strength when adding them from a unknown source or LFS.. Its a common problem with wild caught..

They hang in a corner and up and down or in front of a water current and try to keep in the stream and then cloud up and die takes about 3 to 5 days and that bacterium last about 3 months on its own in the system.. if left un treated.. Now the Text book will tell you not to use any antibiotics LOL B/S it will harm nothing..

12. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

Never lost any like that any fish at all for that matter I think I might recheck everything with a new test kit. And find a different place to buy them.