Urgent Clownfish Breathing Very Heavy....

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RutgersReef, Jun 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

Not to be rude but "You better do something for this..real soon" is in no way helpful advice. I'm looking for suggestions here; my other clown as well as my flame angel are perfect so i highly doubt it's an oxygen issue.

Here's a last update; he's probably on the way out now

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=oty9bTMpzIY

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I can't view the video because it requires a utube account. I was able to view the other videos fine. In the videos from yesterday, he didn't look too bad. You could try running an airstone but like you said, since your other fish are fine, it doesn't appear to be an oxygen issue. I don't know there is anything you can do since it doesn't seem to be a sickness or infection......I thought it looked like in the first videos he was just acclimating more slowly and taking a while to adjust to your tank but I see your concerns in the second video but then at the end he was swimming just fine. Clowns can have odd behavior sometimes.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't sweat it. He looks fine. Like OFK said, clowns have weird behavior. Honestly if I look at my fish in all my tanks there are some that are breathing way faster and heavier than other fish. I know its easy to worry but I think he'll be fine. Did you raise the salinity? Everything in my tanks love 1.026. Also, you weren't rude, the post from someone with out helpful advice was rude. Keep us posted

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I didn't see anything rude. Please don't forget people take there valuable time to post here and I read it as someone trying to help. Maybe failing in your opinion, but trying non the less.;)
    It can in theory be beneficial to lower the salinity for sick fish but I would do that in a qt tank not the display with corals present. Slowly.Raising the salinity is not what you want to do with a sick fish.
    I viewed the video and it is hard to tell with Clown behavior; as others have stated.While Clownfish are very hardy Occ./Perc. are IME the most suseptible to disease. Heavy breathing is usually indicative of a parasite in the gill area (this is where most start) which causes mucus to form there.It may be the dreaded Brooklynella. Keep a close eye on it for slime.If you notice any;remove him immediately . This protozoan does not spread as easily as Marine Ich and it is possible your other fish will be totally unaffected by it. If it doesn't start eating again soon I would say its chances are not good.:cry:Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

thanks, a gill parasite is possible. it sucks to haave to be at work not knowing hoow my little friend is doing back at home :(

7. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

by the way I didn't notice any mucus... ugh hopefully not dead when I get home that is such a downer.. they were such a nice looking pair of clowns too :(

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I understand. I don't have fish die often but when one does it really sucks. There our pets. Good luck buddy

10. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Very understandable the feelings you have. I had the same issue with my clown a few months ago and it was a female that had been with me for 4 years. Slowly she started exhibiting the same behavior you described. I unfortunately don't have any helpful advise but do wish you the bet of luck. I hope the little guy pulls through.

11. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

thanks guys.. going home now hoping for the best but prepared for the worst as they say

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid