Clownfish Acting Strange

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hnnhflns, Apr 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hnnhflns

hnnhflns Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought a pair of fake percs last weekend and they have been in my 55 tank ever since (Also have 2 blue-green chromis, a blue tang, a blue damsel, and a molly. Yesterday my littler clown started acting strange: he stayed put in the same place in the rocks on the tank. I just found him laying on the sand bed and he is breathing heavily. I tried to scoop him up in the net and it looked like he was having problems swimming. Now he is in a new spot and just lying there. Other other fish have been fine and are all eating but he isn't. I don't see anything on him, and I have grown quite fond of him. Please help!

Update: So now when he swims it just looks like his is twitching instead of swimming, and when he twitches himself into a new spot he just lies there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This does not sound good.

All you can really do is try to increase oxygen at this point. If you think the clown is being bullied and you have a sump you may want to try placing the fish there. If you have a QT even better. Moving else where then the sump or QT will probably just speed up the poor clowns demise unfortunately.

4. hnnhflns

I've put an air pump in there. I don't really have another tank, just a seperate macro algae tank that I could put him in. I did a 5 gallon water change last night and checked all the levels, nothing was out of normal.

5. hnnhflns

[​IMG]

This is my little dude. He is still breathing, but his front fins are stuck out from his body and he is just laying there...

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sorry. :-(

It happens and there is not much you can do about it at this point.

I would watch all other fish carefully and not add anything else for a couple weeks.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Poor guy. I lost 3 of them last Fall shortly after addition with no real explanation. They acted similarly.

8. Click Here!

9. hnnhflns

I added some marine melafix in the off chance that maybe he has something so that he doesn't spread it to the rest of the fish. I also have a cleaner shrimp in there so maybe that will help keep my other clown and baby tang alive.

10. hnnhflns

Thanks guys, but little Bert just died. I am still not sure what happened to him. He doesn't have any discoloration or white spots. Maybe he just wasn't a very hardy little dude. Thanks for your input though. :(

11. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Sorry about your loss :( Mine got bullied by my Friend's Allardie I that was in my sump. Mine swam down the overflow into the sump and got pummeled to death.