Urgent Clown Trigger Velvet!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, May 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Yes. Along with several very expensive fish. He is not and cannot go into my dt.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

if you put him in that tank you just oculdnt treat him with copper or your coral will die. and ill say it again i understand you cant get him in a larger tank than you have him in but that is making him more stressed so i urge you to try to find some way to get him in at least a 40 gallon. otherwise it will be a miracle if he pulls thru

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

It could possibly be a real bad case of ich, which at least would be better than velvet. Does he seem alert, and haw do his eyes look?

Something for him to hide behind would help, I use 4" PVC pipe or fittings.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I have thought of that. Your right it could be a real bad case of ich. Either way he is very ill. I do have PVC in the tank for him to hide in. At the moment he is resting on the bottom of the tank still in an upright position. Lights are off in the tank and room and all params are good. Cupramine was administered. If he makes it though the night it will be a miracle.

6. barbianj

What about his eyes and alertness?

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Madam or sir,
    I am fully aware of the implications of the size of the qt he is currently in. As I said before there is nothing I can do about that at the moment. I am also aware that treating my dt (NOT an option) will kill everything in that tank except the fish. The lfs had him in one of those 5 gallon cubes with an overflow. At this point I am not concerned about the size of the tank. If he makes it the night then I will be concerned. I have done nothing but improve his living conditions. I am looking for charcateristics of a trigger and things I might possibly be missing with the treatment of his illness. I took this on as pure chance. Not because i thought he would make it.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Eyes appear clear from what I can tell (room is dark). If I approach the tank too closely he comes up off the bottom and begins swimming around. I am hopeful this is a good sign???

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

No, no do not put him in your DT!!! I know you are saying you won't, just had to say that.

11. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

This QT is fine- go to the store and by both melafix and pimafix, add this as prescriped on the bottles, then add an air stone, the air stone will cause this mixture to create profuse medicated bubbles, but a lot of O2 for the tank- this is ok.

Keep the temps at around 78 degrees and lighting to deep blue atinic only. Try to slowly drop the Sg to 1.020 or so, this will affect pH so make sure the QT is baren- nothing in it, as you do not want anything to add to this fishes problems, maintain this for at least 1 week. If the fish does better after this first week, great, keep up the treatment, but slowly taper it off. Also, water 33% change after week one, then again after week two.

Just remember lot's of O2 and low lighting- keep this tank very stabil, and remember to medicate as prescribed. I would not use copper treatments, but that is just me.

I have done this many times and it has worked well for me- I really wish you the best of luck.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  12. barbianj

It may not be as bad as you think. He sounds responsive. It can depend on how healthy it was before he got sick. You didn't mention labored breathing. If he's breathing OK, that's even better. Triggers are tough.