Clown question

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by mkdsjones, Mar 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mkdsjones

mkdsjones Plankton

I have my two perc clowns in a 20 long frag tank, and im trying to get them to breed. They are both over a year old and are being fed frozen mysis shrimp and flake food. Every night they just swim againt the current all night long. Is this normal or should they be sleeping somewhere? Should i put a clay pot in the tank near where they swim? Want babies bad and they just wont make it happen

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What else is in there? What are they hosting? Have they actually paired up?
    There are a few tricks to help. First would be diet, as what you are feeding is not very nutritous nor varied. Ditch the flake/pellet completely. Its not very nutritious and actually contains preservatives which can delay mating. Feed them a mix of mysis, gut loaded brine, spirulina/other seaweed/algae, clam, scallop, shrimp, etc. Soak in selcon, garlic, and vitamin C.
    Make sure your lighting is on a regular, set schedule. If its not, the clowns will never be able to accomplish the schedule either ;) Also run moonlighting.
    How old are they exactly? 2-3 years is the typical age for them to really become mature and start breeding, so they may still be too young. Also, while clowns are easy for marine fish, its still not always said and done. They might just not do the deed.

4. mkdsjones

mkdsjones Plankton

There is nothing else but a bunch of coral frags, no anemone, they seem to be paired up one is big the other is really small the male follows the female everywhere. they have moon light leds on a timed day and night schedual. they eat a lot and seem happy