clown is killing my coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Guest, Dec 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Coral;num=1072772857;start=0#9 date=12/30/03 at 20:20:40]They are the most resilient as they have survived me.[/quote]

[smiley=hehe.gif] Nice one.

Yeah not sure what I'll do, but pretty sure I won't do it very soon.

If memory serves, Ritteri's, Carpets and Sebae's are Percula friendly.

I sure love Ritteri's though, I can't wait for the day we figure out how to frag these things, because the loss now is just too great.

2. Click Here!

3. CG

CG Bristle Worm

uh...MHs? BTAs?

4. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@CG

"MH's" - "Metal Halide" (as in "lighting")

"BTA" - "Bulb Anemone"/"Bubble Tip Anemone"

Acronyms are the "curse" of "forum communication" - seems many make them up as they go along. Reef related forums have a pretty standard set of them. You will usually see the same ones over and over again.

FWIW ("for what its worth") ;)

Rgds,

OmarD

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Too funny Scott. Yes we are as bad as any body in the acronym game. TIA, DSB, LR, PH, Ph, CA, etc., etc. etc!

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

my clowns took to my flowerpot since they are a very difficult species im not sure if it was the hard nature of them that killed it or the clowns or both. i have a pair of false percs and i think they might have helped becuase they were always in it and it was closed quite a bit. they have now taken over my leather tree coral but seems to have no effect it. it did close at first but now stays open fully while they play in it and still looks healthy. it might depend on the type of coral and how hardy it is on how the clowns might effect it.

8. Click Here!

9. CG

CG Bristle Worm

whew, it's all so confusing at first, I just figured out what sps and lps mean, but i still don't know whats so different about them

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

"Whew" - was just a few months ago I did not know either - and was just as "confused" - and now even more so - the more I find out about - the more I know how little I know. :eek:

But that is one of the great "attractions" of this "art" :)

One of best ways to learn about different species, besides reading forums and pouring thru books, either at library or at local book store ("LBS" ::) ) is going thru different web vendor sites...

LiveAquaria is always a great reference (besides being a great place to buy from)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=22&pCatId=321

LPS Hard Corals

Large Polyp Stony (LPS) Corals are generally larger calcareous (stony) corals with large fleshy polyps. The degree of extension of the tentacles depends upon the amount of light, current, and whether the coral is feeding or not. When placing any LPS coral special care must be taken in its placement. Most of the LPS corals produce long sweeper tentacles which they use to keep any other organisms a safe distance away.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=22&pCatId=322

SPS Hard Corals

In general, the Small Polyped Stony (SPS) corals have small polyps on a calcerous (stony) skeleton. In many instances they are either branching or plated. Most species prefer bright light and strong currents, but there are exceptions. They are often cultured from fragments which are broken off. SPS corals are generally considered more difficult to keep than the LPS or soft corals and are generally not recommended for beginners. There is a gradient however, some Large Polyp Stony (LPS) Corals are actually more difficult to maintain than some of the SPS Corals.

The LPS seem much easier to start out with - and are my favorites...

Lots of fun learning about each type and variety...each has their own unique needs and living conditions...

Enjoy,

OmarD

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

LPS corals are the most in danger of our trade decimating. Please take all info on liveaquaria.com with a grain of salt. They're are much better places to find info, I'll update the links section this month with a bunch more places to search.