clown fish question

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by macabe, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

The clown fish w/ only eat them if they are unfertilized or damaged. They will fan them all the time. My mama got torn from my sailfin tang a few years ago by defending her eggs.....sailfin got a taste of them and wouldn't leave it be. She healed but still lays eggs. (7-8 years old now).

The female is larger w/ the next in line the male.

2. Click Here!

3. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

It wont eat the eggs, but will eat the fry.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Actaully, mandarins do eat eggs. Well, at least I know mine does. Thats how I started getting mine to take frozen. Started it on flying fish roe, then started mixing other stuff in. I've heard that most will take fish roe.
    But on that note, regardless if yours will eat eggs or not, I see no way, no how, that mamma and poppa clowns are going to let that mandarin near them ;)

5. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

where do they place their eggs when they spawn

6. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

Where their hearts desire. Usually a flat place, if there is a nem usually next to it, sometimes on the glass. Some people use clay pots to get them to spawn on for easy removal, sometimes tiles, sometimes just on live rock. Eggs stay about a week before they hatch.

7. botie

botie Feather Duster

the more dominate clown is always the female usaully the bigger one then the next dominate clown is the male the rest in the tank stay jueviniles if the female dies the male becomes the female and the next dominate juviniles becomes the male wonce they become a female they can not go back to a male

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

This is the same info I have read in several articles while researching clowns.

10. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

The male will turn sideways in a submissive motion from time to time with the female. The female also chooses where they will sleep.

1 person likes this.
  11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Everything posted here is essentially correct. I have been researching breeding myself, hoping my oscellaris clowns will see fit to lay eggs. The female will defend the male and the home and the male will defend the eggs. Either way, you get near them, you are going to get harshed out. Lots of breeders put a tile up at about a 60 degree angle and hope the female lays her eggs on that. Easy removal to the other tank. If you are serious about breeding, it is an undertaking. You will need a few more tanks around the house and some resources (money) to get them set up. Depending on the type of clowns you breed, you can make some money at it. If you choose tomato clowns, you probably won't do so well. Easy to breed, but hard to sell. But everyone wants a nemo. Ocellaris and true percs are good ones to start with. Maroons are one of the more difficult, but there is a market out there for them. Just read up on how to do it. It isn't just laying eggs and watching. There is a lot more to it......