Clown Fish Help !

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by btcole333, Dec 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I posted this link on your first thread. Marine Ich treatment is complicated and you need to understand the life cycle to treat it effectively.

Curing Fish of Marine Ich - Reef Sanctuary

Garlic will help to boost the immune system. If it were me I would leave the tank fallow ( with out fish ) for at least 60 days, if your fish does not survive this round.

Good Luck.

2. Click Here!

3. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Is your tank Marine or Reef? There are medications that are great for marine tanks, but none that work for reef. The best bet would be to keep feeding him with garlic-infused foods, making sure water parameters are good, and stressing the clown out as little as possible. As for the time it takes for ich to die out, probably 9-12 weeks. Hope this helps. :)

4. btcole333

btcole333 Feather Duster

So going fishless is a good way to get rid of it. So the garlic is just a way to get them to eat. If the store will take them back i am going to take them back. They have been pretty cool with me so far. I was in there store 4 times last week.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Just a note that going fishless will not ensure that you will never get it again. I had a boute of ich once and went fishless for 6 weeks. Then out of the blue if popped up again over the summer. It can come in on anything really.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If they try to sell you a product that they say works and is effective in the marine/reef system save your money.

Copper: Not reef safe.
    Formalin: Not reef safe.
    Hyposalinty: Not reef safe.

Those are the only scientifically proven effective treatments for marine ich.

7. btcole333

btcole333 Feather Duster

Thanks for all of ya'lls help ! I am new to salt water and this site has helped me out a lot.

8. Click Here!

9. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Garlic doesn't just get them to eat, it supposedly strengthens their immune system, too. A low immune system is what really causes ich to infect a fish. Such as tangs, who are very easy to stress, are said to be prone to ich just because of that factor. If you can't return your fish, ask the LFS owner if they sell garlic-infused food.

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Very true, hence the need for a hospital or qt tank. As a side note, copper and clownfish usually don't mix so that practice is usually out for clowns.