Clown fish biting open brain coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Ducncover, Mar 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Haha yea good idea. The cleaners are pia. Wish I could put them in a cage when it's feeding time. They hide in rock work most of the day until I shut the pumps down. Then they come to the front of tank like dogs begging for food. Ha

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

beautiful coral! I love clowns and would probably watch and see if the clown rubbing starts to affect the coral before I would consider getting rid of either....just my .02

4. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Thats my plan, I hope it works out that way. I just worry that it would be an easy coral to rip with its skeleton and could see it going down hill fast. Plus I think its one of the coolest corals I have ever seen, when extended and under actinics. But ive only been at this for 4 months so I cant wait to see what else I can find.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Well got home tonight and she was still bothering it, but it is still open and doesn't seem too bothered by it. I'm going to move it to where I originally liked it seeings how it sure doesn't look like location matters too much for the clown,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Mpfaff77

Mpfaff77 Plankton

I have a brain on the sand bed and it has hosted by pair of clowns for 6 years now. It was annoyed at first. It should get used to fish. See how it goes for few weeks. My clowns sleep in the folds of the brain coral.

Ps my female clown also tries to bite me. Quite scary. We named her "cujo"

Attached Files:

7. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Well that's a little reassuring, I guess results will vary from tank to tank, I've read some post where the clown killed the coral but also read experiences like yours where they lived together. Keeping fingers crossed .
    Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow, great thread, good knowledge and experiences.

I only have a closed brain- none of my 3 clowns go around it.

I had seen a thread on an open brain stinging, then eating a fish? Good thing at least the clowns seems immune to that alsol!

The pic in the OP is a really nice looking coral, love those colors

10. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Thanks Todd. So far so good. Brain is still open during the day, clown still rubbing all up in it, which still makes me nervous, but no tears and no tissue recession(knock on wood). Ive been feeding it every couple days to make sure it eats. I havent seen its feeder tentacles out on its own, but still eats mysis when I do feed it. I put a 2 litre bottle on top of it and it PISSES the clown off like no tomorrow. Im going to get a RBTA on tuesday to see if it will jump to that. I know they arent a natural pair and its a toss up if it will take but I just dont want to think about loosing the coral.