clown fish behavior

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by d-money, Apr 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The shaking is called the "clown twitch". It is the clowns way of being submissive to the other one. Completely normal behavior and nothing to be worried about.
    I would also not worry about it hiding in the torch like that. Looks like it's hosting it to me ;) Also completely normal. They both may dive in once they become bonded ;)

Just keep with the food suggestions and let them be. They will figure it out. This is simply something all clowns go through during the pairing process.

2. Click Here!

3. d-money

d-money Plankton

4. ClowningAround

ClowningAround Bristle Worm

Is that a bubble tip in the middle bottom of the tank? Nice looking tank I have a 12g nano cube. I also have 2 clowns in there and they are doing the same thing yours are, well not the losing color part but trying to establish dominance. They will stop over time its just a phase they go through.

5. Lady_Bobo

Lady_Bobo Fire Worm

That is a beautiful tank!

6. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

I have two clowns also, one black one orange, From the get go the orange one wich was in the tank first established dominance and would chase the black one. The first few years it was just like the orange one was just guarding territory chasing the black one to one side of the tank and then leaving him alone. NOW it is a constant battle and the orange one is winning. Keeps going for fins on bottom.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Above post ^^^

You cant have 2 different clowns in the same tank, they will only pair up if same species. And yes different colors are not the same. They will continue to fight!!! Probably till one of them is dead. The reason you got away with it till now is because they were not mature yet, now that they are they will fight.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. connemark

connemark Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Does anyone's clowns stir up the sand bed. Mine will swim in one spot all night and make a pot hole in the SB. THe sand ends up on some zoos and a candy cane frag. They are acting like they are hosting but nothing in there to host atm. I did lose a ricordia (sp) shroom anyone ever seen them hosting one of these before

1 person likes this.
  10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Actually, that's false. It can be common for clowns of different species to pair up. True perc's pair up with false perc's, and that's where misbar's come from. ;)
    And in IHAVEMTS case, they may not even be different species. Black clowns are false percs. They are just a color morph. So, depending on what species the orange one is, they may be the same.

1 person likes this.
  11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Ahh ok I was misinformed. I take it back. :-/

12. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

I was told occelaris and percula is what they are.