Clown fish and green flower pot..

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by surfrgirl61187, Nov 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

im not too sure that its a alveopora being that its pritty hard to see how many tips are on the individual polyps, 12 alveopora & 24 gonipora
    the Alv is a better survivour in tanks but the two dont have good reps.
    the problem with clowns nipping at corals is common as they do this to get the Anemone to move to a better suited location for the clown, but in the instance were they host a skeletal coral they just continue to nip until the coral becomes stressed and week/sick (as it does'nt have the ability to move.
    I would not suggest to buy a anemone for the clowns but perhps a colt coral which clowns are known to host in and are far more forgiving then anemoneis to less then perfect conditions ie (low light)
    HTH

2. Click Here!

3. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

I think it is the gonipora... I just did a google search on both the alveopora and gonipora and it looks more like the gonipora. So, these are harder to keep?? What type of care do they require that makes them harder to keep? just curiouse.. The man we got it from just said it was a green flower pot.. As for our compact fluorescent lights, what makes them low? We have heard this from 3 people on this site now... Our lights let off a little more than the 5 wats per gal rule.. Thank you for your input as well :)

4. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks!! They are a lot happier.. They have been open all the way all day long now!! The clowns keep looking at it wondering how to get in.. lol..

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

the reason that compact flurecents are deemed to be "low" is that the (par value)that photosynthetic corals need to survive is at the low end of the range which these lights omitt as opposed to lets say Metal Halide lights which omitt a much stronger par then compact flurecencts.
    That being said there is alot of debate and fact which comes into play when talking about lights.
    for instance I had a small project with SPS frags growing under compact flurecence for 18mths they grew slowly and had poor colour but it was the point that they grew which I was happy about, now let it be said that all of these SPS were "easy corals" and that the depth of water was 3" so the light penitration was still high I dont belive that I could have kept these same corals alive if they had say been at the bottom of the tank 18" away from the compact flurecence.
    many factors have to be considered when talking about lights but on a general basis compact flurecenct lighting is deemed low light
    I hope sheds some light on the topic :)

1 person likes this.