Clown Dead, please help me find out why =(

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Glaekenn, Dec 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Other than the above suggestions re: the devil-fish (damsels), the only thing I can think of is an internal parasite, or that your LFS was right. It could have been a rock or other trauma (powerheads?) Also, not all clowns CAN host in all anemones if I am correct. It may not have been acclimated to your sebae. I have a maroon clown that took 9 months to settle into the sebae- before that she would dart away like she had been stung.

Also, bear in mind that two weeks isn't really that long for a quarantine. They may have simply been sick or injured from day 1.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yep, clowns allow the anemone to sting them to adjust to the toxin and develop a tolerance to them. I think that may also be why clowns will take bits of the tentacles too. Kind of like how flu shots work with humans. I may be wrong, but just a guess.

1 person likes this.
  4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

True, Haitian anemones are not "hostable" anemones, they will eat a fish that tries to do so. I'm sure there are others as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. Glaekenn

Glaekenn Astrea Snail

Can you tell me what type of anemone this is then?

(Yeah, I know that's an aiptasia on the left :(, it came in on the rock when I got the LTA)

Attached Files:

• lta.jpg
      lta.jpg
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
  6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

It looks like a long tentacle anemone or a green sebae to me. I would get rid of the aipstasia asap. Get the other anemone to move off the rock by blowing a powerhead on the foot. When it moves, get that rock out of the tank and kill the aipstasia with kalk paste or lemon juice injections.