Clown Dead, please help me find out why =(

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Glaekenn, Dec 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just wanted to add that clownfish are damsels;).
    Anemones can absolutely sting clownfish.
    This is indicative of an issue. And seems odd to be happening to all the fish at the same time. I will say that I highly doubt that the damsels killed the clowns(other damsels).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

The only other scenario is to look around LFS' to see if someone has a clown or pair of clowns already hosted in an Anemone and by the lot. LFS do have them as such or you may request them to hold the hosting for if they come across one.

4. Glaekenn

Glaekenn Astrea Snail

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. Does anyone think that the rod's food could be an issue? That it may be rotten or such?

Also, the damsels and wrasse ate a tiny bit of food today, but not much.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I wouldnt think the rods food would be it. Pellets maybe, but it didnt seem to bloated.
    I know you want it, but I would get rid of the anemone ASAP. your tank is too young for it. Its not unusual for a young tank to go through ammonia and nitrite spikes that can only last for an hour or less: youd never catch it even with stringent testing. Thats plenty enough to kill an anemone, and in return, kill the entire tank. Might also be what happened to your fish.
    Also IMO the damsels can be fine with clowns. And as stated, clowns are damselfish. I have 2 damsels and a pair of clowns and they are all fine together, and yes, the damsels were in the tank first. I wouldnt worry too much about that. Just make sure everyone has plenty of hiding spots to establish territories. My clowns actually put the YT's in their place.

1 person likes this.
  6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

you know what i mean by damsels!!! aiiii..

7. Glaekenn

Glaekenn Astrea Snail

What do you guys think about the redness on the clown's back end? Purely physical? Or internal?

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I was just throwing out opinions. I've heard too many horror stories of bully damsels. :D

And just to throw it out there...in order for a clown to "host" to an anemone, it must get stung by the anemone first. The stinging helps the clown form a gel or something that allows it to essentially become "invisible" to the anemone. That's the gist of my knowledge on that...but it's enough to show that anemones can and do sting clowns.

10. missionsix

I think what happened is what pack explained above. I also think what you are seeing ("redness") is ammonia burns.

11. missionsix

12. Glaekenn

Glaekenn Astrea Snail