Clown dance

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Camilsky, Nov 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would choose a soft coral over an LPS coral as a host for your clown. LPS corals tend to dislike all the nuzzling that clowns do when they're nesting. My clowns have hosted in a toadstool coral, anthellia and xenia. They are currently nesting in a gigas clam, much to my chagrin ::)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hehehe ... They are amazing :D Thanks for sharing this vid! I will buy some nice toadstool... :D

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

...and your clam is ok with that?? I saw the video but still can't believe it. Gadzooks!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It hasn't closed up on them yet so I suppose they don't irritate it too much. That being said, however, the only things that I don't like is that the clowns go into the clam through its inhalent (as you can see in the picture) and may be damaging the clam's gills. Also, when a clown fish wants it's "anemone" to move, they will nip at the "amemone's" base/foot to compel it to move. Soooo, the female will, from time to time, nip at the clam's mantle which doesn't seem to bother the clam as much as it bothers me.

6. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

my much smaller one also started doing the clownfish twitch...its rather humorous (at first i was worried about his spastic mov't but then read this was normal). Its funny cuz she'll take a nip at him (or just bump him), and he'll start twitching.