CLOUDY WATER

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, Feb 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I get my water from Walmart, it is only RO not DI.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I am still interested in the TDS meter reading on the DI water from the LFS.
    This would tell us alot.

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok DON'T DRAIN THE TANK its like cutting your head off for a headache. If you have no substrate or rock or deco's you have a box of cloudy water. Lets fix that.
    First PH and alk look acceptable but have you done just a plain old hardness test on the water with salt and with out salt? This is from experience not rumor or speculation (thanks Grisham and Nautilus) Io and some other salts are slow to dissolve in hard water I have seen it take up to a week which is why I don't use it anymore. A brown poly filter also indicates hard water ( like rust from well water in a bath tub) If it is DI from the store how old is the membrane and did you see them fill it from a known DI machine or tank/vat? Other things to check besides the water how is your sump plumbed? Plastic or flex or what? If you have a leak on the return side of the sump it might not leak water but suck air and make micro bubbles like a venturi. How old is the water from the store/ Like how long did it sit before being sold to you? Algae blooms can make a smoky cloudy look in the water. As stated in earlier posts Phosphates and silicas which remain even after RO is done can lead to cloudiness you stated it was di are you sure di and not ro? One tip save money on test kits Buy 1 gallon of water and make the store test it before you leave. You can also contact either some place like culligan and have them set up a system for you in your house or find a delivery place and have 5 gallons delivered to you if you can't resolve this locally.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Great Post Phil See thats why it so important your around.

J

6. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ditto on what jackets said ! [smiley=hehe.gif]

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Still boils down to water....Boils get it... Hummm anyway.
    Yes some water does stay cloudy but not for 3 weeks. That water from the LFS is very skeptical if you ask me.
    Save alot of money by making your own.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Excellent information everyone!

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

How is the tank coming here?