CLOUDY WATER

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, Feb 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MIKE2004

MIKE2004 Plankton

Also is the fact that the white filter pad in the sump turned a brown color a clue to the problem????

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Gotta be a clue.
    [smiley=stars.gif]

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The only thing it can be is the water.

OK here is my suggestion.
    You have IO so keep using that.
    The water was cloudy before salt so we know it is a water issue.
    Is this only DI water? if so the water may need to be filtered by RO membrane.
    Those small DI filters Jakets mentioned are good but they only have a target of 60 gallons or so, and they cost 25 bucks and you still don't get PURE water.

For the amount it costs you to buy water I would purchase a 5 stage RO/DI water system from www.airwaterice.com (75 or 100 GPD) and they cost $149 which has a full size DI filter.
    A couple of water changes and it has paid for it's self. This way you know it is pure. If you get the typhoon III it has a pressure gauge and comes with a TDS meter. Email Walter and tell me you are from 3reef and see if he will cut you a deal.
    Have the LFS put a TDS meter in the DI water they sold you and see what that reads. I will bet it is high and they need to change the filter. But for $1 a gallon it will be cheaper and better to get a ro/di unit for yourself.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.airwaterice.com/typhoon1.htm

The alk should be with in these ranges.
    2.5 - 4 meq/L or 7 - 11 dKH or 125 - 200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
    Calcium:
    380 – 450 ppm calcium ion or 950 - 1125 ppm CaCO3 equivalents

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=MIKE2004 link=board=Newbie;num=1075993500;start=45#50 date=02/12/04 at 10:24:04]Also is the fact that the white filter pad in the sump turned a brown color a clue to the problem????[/quote]

Another clue that it is the water. Those filters absorb excess minerals and pollutants that are in the water.

I think now you know for sure it is your water source no ifs ands or buts.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I called a second LFS and they said it was normal, and they only way to get it to go away is to start the cycle. I know everyone says be patient but after having a 75gal bucket of water in my living room for 1month I am itching to put something in it. Do you think that after 1month of running the filter removed enough impurities that , if this is the problem (less than perfect water quality), if I added Live Rock/Sand and started the cycle it would go away and I can just use better water for water changes, or do you think it would hurt the LR/sand.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's so hard to say Mike without seeing it first hand.
    If I were you I'd get a local water report - they will send it if you ask - see what's in there, I'd do as many tests on the water with a test kit as you could and I'd consider an RO unit as suggested already.

Ultimately it comes down to you and your judgement. We are driving blind here without pics or first hand experience with cloudy water that won't go away after a month.

Personally I would work to resolve the problem first rather than risking losing live stock because you want to see stuff in the tank.  

EDIT - Reread some earlier posts and saw that you did some tests. Those readings are strange. You mentioned that it was DI water. ANd that you got it from the LFS. What did they say when you told them the water was cloudy? How do you know that it is DI water?

8. Click Here!

9. MIKE2004

MIKE2004 Plankton

I only know it is DI water because that is what they said , and when I told them the water was cloudy they said it was normal, and that it will go away, and that I should just start adding sand and rock because it will not go awayhe tank completely cycles.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd probably get water from somewhere else.
    It's not normal.
    [smiley=worried.gif]

What are you going to do?

11. MIKE2004

MIKE2004 Plankton

I hate to waste 120dollars (90 for the water 30 for the Salt) but I guess I have no choice, its better than wasting a couple of hundred on rock and sand. I guess Ill buy a RO/DI unit and make my own water and then add salt and start all over again.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That sucks, but probably what I would do.
    You know what would be interesting?
    If you have a spare tank or container laying around, just fill it with some of the tap water and see if that's cloudy. Just to compare. I'd still get an RO, better in the long run, but it would be nice to know what you are working with here.