cloudy water getting RIDICULOUS!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by irr0001, Jul 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have no advice to offer, but...
    LMAO

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

i promise i'm not overfeeding...1 tiny pinch every 3 days..with only 6 tiny tetras..i realize i t restarts it every time i change something but every time i have made a change i have tried to let it run it's course..this last time i made no changes for over a month and it only got worse..i'm pretty confident that it is the substrate..i have other setups in this tank with standard gravel using the same water etc with no problems..this is my first time with the live stubstrate..however i just took it out and replaced it with regular gravel so we'll see how it goes

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Live substrate in a F/W tank ? did you use that F/W magic mud planted tank stuff ? I was not accusing you of over feeding I was just blasting through the common mistakes I have always seen lead to a cloudy F/W tank and thats one along with the others .

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I used this stuff:
    Eco-Complete Plant Substrate
    it was great for my plants..when i took the plants out their roots were unbelievable..but i think it was like JJK said..had TOO much bacteria for a 10 gallon..

btw..wasn't getting defensive lol just saying!

6. blibo

blibo Astrea Snail

Your first suspicion that it has to do with bacteria is correct. However, the cloudiness is not caused by the breeding of bacteria, but it's caused by all your bacteria dying. This is where I think you went wrong....

1)added eco-complete into empty tank (there is already tons of benefitial bacteria in eco-complete from the bag)
    2)added water from the tap without dechlorinating it
    3)probably adding nutrients and stuffs before cycling your tank

This will lead to mass death of bacteria from eco-complete which cause your water to turn cloudy white. All you have to do is add carbon and wait to new bacteria to grow.

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

2 and 3 aren't the case..but 1 makes sense...however i did run carbon continuously and waited a loonnggg time..either way..it boils down to the substrate...which is now gone..so hopefully problem solved!