Closed

Discussion in 'Clams' started by kimberlee, Mar 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

I have access to another tank in the house. A 20 long would that be the same as taking it to the LFS. It's my roommates tank only a little younger than mine

The only things in that tank other than coral is a brittle star fish and a clown.

2. Click Here!

3. kimberlee

What should I look for so I know if there's improvement or decline of situation?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The clam will open, extend it's mantel with improvement as the lighting period goes on.

You really should check the base for pyramid snails, they are very very common and will cause an issue for any other clam you get in the future. While they do not cause instant or a quick death a clam dealing with the stress of a heavy infestation of this parasite will be less able to deal with other stress.

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well what I am after here is a possible water quality issue- this would rule out a fish problem and find out if the clam is sickly, or not. A younger tank would not be a good idea- doable, but I advise aginst it.

Water stability is very important for clams, some fish and some coral can handle swings of certain parmeters of ill water quality, but most inverts can not. And as this usually shows up over a short time period (a few weeks) in a healthy critter because they become unhealthy over this time frame in aquariums that have not fully cycled or have other water quality issues.

I noticed you mentioned a "new sump" are you running a protein skimmer yet?

I am sorry for all the questions, but it's tough to help w/o actually being there sometimes.

6. kimberlee

Water quality has been stable and is fine, just tested. I've been running a skimmer the whole time. I don't think there are any pyramid snail. both tanks are almost a year

7. kimberlee

After finding some pics of said snail, no not present. Although the shell has opened very slightly.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

well hang in there- time and patience- it's all we have right now.

10. kimberlee

Is it possible I'm freaking out over nothing, and he's just being moody today. This is my first clam and he has been open every day, so this to me isn't normal, but maybe it's normal for him?

11. kimberlee

So I turned on my actinics today and there were flat worms crawling all over my clam. Can I assume that's a bad thing?

12. alpha_03