Clicking Noise?????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Poppy828, Sep 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Wife said they are cute and she wants one. Look what I started now... :p

I guess we will be setting up a Nano tank here soon and adding a Mantis to the list of kids.....

Will be fun I am sure.

Any good sites to find these guys to purchase?...she said she too wants the Peacock.

Thanks,

T

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

HA! Didn't take long to convince her aye? :) Good luck finding one. Like inwall mentioned, they are becoming more popular so it might be hard to find. Cruise the boards on R/C and Grimreefers and the more reputable on-line marine livestock dealers and keep an eye out for anyone selling. Also, check with your fish store. They might be able to order one for you. Peacocks get fairly large and would require no less than a 10 gallon tank so take that into consideration if you set a tank up for one. You also want a titanium heater....glass won't do for obvious reasons :)

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Can the Mantis go in the shark tank you are working on? I don't know if that would work....Inwall?....Amcarrig?...

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

emmm...shark tank? What did I miss? :)

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I can't seem to find the thread at the moment, but I thought Todd was building a Shark tank for some Marble Cat Sharks he ended up with from a friend...

Can a Mantis co-exist with a shark? Or is that just a dumb question.... ;D

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Interesting...could you post the thread if you find it? :)

I'm sure that the mantis and the shark can and would coexist. Unless you've got a large spearing mantis but that's not likely to happen as they're rarely hitchikers on rock. Spearers tend to make their burrows in sand rather than rock )

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I would love for you to set up a nano but wanted to give you a heads-up on Peacocks.

Peacocks ( Odontodactylus scyllarus) or O.s. for short are the hardest to get unless you live on one of the coasts. They are soooo colorful that even non mantis-keepers want them.

They are also one of the stronger varieties and deserve proper respect (I don't want to use the word fear here). O.s. are VERY strong WHEN FULL GROWN and if it is full grown...keep your hands out of the tank unless you "know" your critter. An O.s. CAN break the bones in your hand. Yes, they are really that strong.

I would love to see you set up a nano for an O.s. but I wanted you to also know that Peacocks, while amazingly colorful and cute, require an agreement that most other stomatopods species don't require. You are required to understand exactly how strong this species is when full grown.

10. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Hey birdlady. Still doing the shark thing of course...I have designed and ordered a custom tank for them to be in rather than this 75g they are in now. I am also doing a 75G seperate for either a reef or FOWLR. Not sure yet.

ANyway, would be nice to know if I can put them in with the sharks in the new tank. The Mantis would have a 450g tank to play in....Is that big enough amcarrig???

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Damn! Big enough for me to want to get my SCUBA gear! Have any pictures?

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

My concern would be that you would rarley see your mantis...otherswise...no probs.