cleaning sand bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by DSC reef, Sep 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

FWIW if you're having algae issues, your 7 inverts simply won't be enough.

I did a BB in my BioCube14, I liked it. It looked so sleek and modern. However I noticed right away my Pods, micro brittle stars, and bristle worms immediately took a huge hit. These guys will all help with turning the sand bed over and reducing detritus thus reducing algae. I would imagine if you removed them too you'd see even more of it on the rocks or bottom glass.

You'll see many tanks have immaculate sand. It's always achievable. I had my immaculate black/white sand (hated this stuff it showed everything) after a few months.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not really having algae issues per say but I'll try a few more snails for a clean up crew. My turbos are to big so a new crew might be in order. I tried veining the sand with a siphon like I use in my cichlid tank but the siphon doesn't seem to work right. I loose a lot of sand. On bare bottom I can literally blow off whatever there and the filter will take care of it. Just trying to weigh out options. I run biopellets and have a lot of rock so I don't think I'd loose to much in filtration

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

what does montipora look like covering the bottom?

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Amazing! Look up world wide corals. I'm fortunate to live so close. The tanks are nothing short of amazing

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Followed this advice today, The absolute best my tank has looked in months.

7. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Fantastic! Your tank should do tons better. You got out a ton of waste! Most people say, you should let the bacteria and other critters eat the waste, but I say, our tanks are closed systems. There's no way we have as many critters living in our sand bed, as there are in the ocean.

All that waste goes nowhere and just builds up and up for years and years. Have you seen the sand bed of some tanks that are really old when the sand is disturbed? Black waste.

If more people did this, I wonder how many people wouldn't have algae problems and not have to run a phosphate reactor. There's money saved right there.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

I only siphoned the top of the sand where all my cyano is collecting. Are you using a vacuum like you would with gravel? I have had an issue with cyano for quite a while now and am willing to try any mechanical methods at getting it under control.

10. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Yup, I use one of those gravel vacuums you can buy at a pet store for $12. or so. It has like a 4 foot hose that clamps onto the waste water bucket.

11. mdbostwick

How long have you been practicing this? Does it have any negative effects that you have come across or now could be a side effect? Does it effect your pod population? Sorry for so many questions. I basically try to learn as much as i can about as many methods as i can.

12. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Never be sorry for asking questions. I don't mind at all.

I've been doing it pretty much since my tank has been up since Jan 1st, 2013. From what what I can tell there are no bad side effects. My pod population is low, but I used DIY rock.