Cleaning coralline from Acrylic

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Blade_Runner, Sep 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi:

Do you remember the days when you were just trying to get some coralline to grow on the rocks? Sigh... ;)

Now the stuff it taking over the 300 gallon and the 90 gallon tanks. The occasional little pink spot that easily scrubbed off with my magnet cleaner ain't so easy any more.::)

With the hood of the 300 being a pretty permanent fixture it isn't easy to get to all of the plex. Aside from just buying the biggest magnet cleaner made and I already have a pretty big magnet, does anyone have any recommendations? Maybe a DIY adaptation to add a scraper to a magnet?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You know, Kent makes a coralline scraper for acrylic tanks. I would prefer coralline taking over my tank than that blaster hair algae that almost hijacked my reef some months back.

4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Have you considered using a plastic ice scraper, like you would use on your car's windshield? The plastic shouldn't scratch the acrylic. Also, you might be able to figure out a way to attach the ice scraper to the inside magnet.

5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Rickzter,
    How did you solve the hair algae problem? I'm having that now, even though the tank is 14 months old. In spite of the hair algae, I have coraline algae expanding, too...
    I may have to get an ice scraper.

6. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Algae

I had a bad hair algae bloom that almost had me throw in the towell. I beat it!!! Theres a few things you should do. First, dont give up. I used 2 sea hares, they are a great tool for removal of hair algae. Do water changes and feed less. Then just give it time. It will go away.

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

A sump with Cheeto helps too. It starves the hair algae out.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

My hair algae starved the chaeto out...
    Anyway Blade they make scraper attachments that glues one to the back of your algae magnet. They are suppose to work really good on coraline.

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Lowe's and many hardwares have a set of plastic rather sharp scraper/putty knives in their paint department a set of 4 of different sizes are like a 1.98 an work very well with a good angle for scraping.

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie