Cleaner Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Wrassman, Mar 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

I just love my cleaner shrimp. His name is Doc, and I've had him about 2 yrs now. He is the hardest working critter in my tank. He set up shop when I put him in the tank, and except for the day after a molt (when he is vulnerable), he works every single day. The fish know where to go to get Doc to give them the "once over" or even the "twice over." If they remain there long enough, Doc will go inside their mouths and gills. He is the most thorough little critter I've ever seen. The longest I've ever kept one was 4 yrs, and I gave that one away, so I'm hoping to have Doc around for awhile longer. Perhaps 6, maybe 8 yrs or so. Wouldn't that be great??

Here's his picture:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Nice Pic. Wrassman,,
    Could you send Doc. to my house? [smiley=help.gif]

4. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

Wrassman...Do any of your wrasse pick on your cleaner shrimp? My yellow wrasse is getting big and I am affraid to add another shrimp to my tank. I do have a large blood shrimp which my wrasse doesn't seem to bother. I would like to add another shrimp and wondering which one would be compatable with my wrasse.

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey SteveM,

Most of the reef-safe wrasses will leave Lysmata sp. shrimp alone. Even my ornery Checkerboard (Fido) won't bother Doc. I think that they respect them because they are cleaners.

Now, Peppermints are another story. My Peppermint stays hidden most of the time during the day, when the Checkerboard is awake. Fido has been known to "harrass" the Peppermint from time to time. But, they seem to have worked out a solution involving the Peppermint being more active at night.

I am going to move the Checkerboard in a week or so, anyway. So the shrimps will be very happy. [smiley=iloveyou.gif]

[glow=white, 2, 300]I hope this answered your question.[/glow] [smiley=cool4.gif]

6. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

Wrass...You always tell it the way it is. Thanks for the info.

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the only fish that really likes to get cleaned is my lawnmower he follows the shrim around and if they dont take to him he throws himself under the shrimp then they start cleanin him. my tang doesnt even bother but the shrimp will reach out and try to grab the chromises they only stick around for so long then swim off. the clowns go for a cleanin once in a while though