Clean Up Crew

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ao72689, Feb 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Thanks appreciate it! If I may ask, whats the difference between a frag and regular corals??

2. Click Here!

3. Ehnohsee

Ehnohsee Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A frag is a small piece of coral cut from a larger colony.
    Getting frags are a lot cheaper than getting the large colonies and you can also watch as they grow out.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

For example, they will take a big hammer coral with 10 branches and they will divide it up into 5- 2 branch frags.

Typically a frag is between 3/4" to 1 1/2" square depending on the coral. You just want to make sure you buy them from a trusted source because for some corals because you can kill them if they're fragged too small or incorrectly.

5. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Do you recommend frags or buying established ones?

As for levittown, its only an hour from me so thats not too bad. The lfs I use is also an hour from me

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, once again it is personal preference. If you have the money and want a nice piece of coral for your tank, get the larger pieces. If you dont want to spend the money, and would like to have the experience of having it grow, then go with frags.

I have always bought frags because I enjoy watching my tank get better by the day and I also can't afford to drop $30-$50+ on one coral. I'd rather spend the big bucks on equipment, but some have the luxury to do both.

7. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Decided when my lights fell in my tank that i will do a fish only lol

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

How did that happen? You had them hung over the tank, right? Did something break?

10. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Yea over the tank. My clown got stuck in the overflow so i adjusted the lights to raise them. They unhooked from the wall and fell in the tank