Clean Up Crew

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ao72689, Feb 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Lol i knoww, hes a good tank filler, i dont want a bunch of little gobies and blennys that hide a lot! Ahhhhh!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

There are a lot of fish that are very active in that list, many of which don't hide at all. My banghai cardinal is always swimming around, as well as my clowns.

My orchid dottyback and firefish hide occasionally, but now come out anytime I come close to the tank and swim all over the place.

The only one that I would say is fairly inactive is my yellow watchman goby. He just sits outside his hole and watches stuff.

4. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Do you have a reef? What other fish do u have and size?

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well that's all my fish- 2 paired ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman goby, orchid dottyback, banghai cardinal, firefish. I have a 46g bowfront reef mostly comprised of softies/ LPS.

6. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Which kind of corals do you recommend? Apart from hammer and torch which im definately getting

7. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Well, that is all personal preference on how much time, effort, and money you want to put into maintaining your tank. The typical progression that people take are start with softies, then LPS, then SPS/NPS.

There are some corals in each group that are easier and some that are harder, but SPS/ NPS typically have the greatest requirements.

My personal favorites are LPS- I have a bunch of favia/ acan frags that I just bought that are really vibrant colors- dragon soul favia, moon splatter favia, coitus acan, bazinga acan. I love my hammer and duncan too.

8. Click Here!

9. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Very nice. Do you think I could get away with a dwarf angel?

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

It really comes down to whether you want to take the risk. You could get one that doesn't bother your corals, but then again it could sit there and eat the $50 frag you just bought.

11. ao72689

ao72689 Feather Duster

Yeah makes sense. Where do you get your corals from?

12. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

For the vast majority- Craigslist. There are always a ton of people with frags for sale and at very good prices. Just search "Coral".

I also deal with a guy based out of Levitown, PA, who has a 210 packed with a ton of different stuff. Not sure how far that is from you, but I can give you his contact info if you want.

I've also used saltcritters.com. They are VERY cheap, but their frags are small. I didn't mind get a small frag of some very rare favias for $10 though.

Alot of people will also tell you that Liveaquaria.com is good and so are the sponsors for this site- reefs2go, WT, AquaSD, ibluewater, etc. They usually have the better quality stuff, though pricing may be a bit high.