Clean up crew dead right away???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gregger, Mar 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It could be electricity. I wouldn't bet money on it, but it is possible. As mentioned earlier. Grounding rod dude!

I am of the opinion it is the water though... If it were me and it were this early in hobby, I'd empty it and start over. I'd be nervous about anything from that water staying behind and causing more issues later.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Agreed! Your rocks and substrate can and will absorb harmful elements only to release them back into the water again later on down the road. I suggest draining all that water out, rinsing with a little RO (then drain that), and filling back up with all RO/DI.

Unfortunately this does mean you'll have to start your cycle over again, but you're only 2 weeks into it so it's not that big of a deal.

4. gregger

gregger Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Would I need to scrub the diatom bloom off?

5. gregger

Looks like I am going to start over. At this point its not worth the chance, time, or money. :(

6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I am with brandon and pered. Drain the tank completely, wait a day draning it again. And i would probly do another major 50% + less then a week later. filling it each time with only ro/di or ro water. Distilled water is good to drink but not good for fish. I would bet that the problem was in the water.

More importantly start the cycle and let the tank cycle for a good month + before adding anything. When the diatom aglae is gone in a month or so then test the water and see what it looks like.

good luck!;D

1 person likes this.
  7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Well I caught up on your posting since last night. I agree I can't see high PH killing the Turbo's that fast. I have 60 in my 135 and they spread out as soon as I put them on the rocks and glass, only a few have died (which is common). Either there is some contaminant in the water or electricity.. Did you check your heater if you have one.

I agree with the others, at this point you need to bite the bullet and nuke everything and start fresh. Personally (I know money is tight for alot of people), I would buy new sand and LR. Since it is only a 30gl the cost is minimal (just think of it as some nice fish that died).

Also did anyone ask what type of Salt you have? I have read some people have had issues with batches of salt in the past.

Take a deep breath and have a cold one.
    This time wait out the cycle at least 4 weeks if not more. Also some people say not to us your lights at all, others say at least a couple hours a day to keep anything living on rocks alive. Personally I had my lights off for the first 3 weeks and then only a couple hours a day until my cycle was finished.

again keep us posted with any updates or findings.

8. Click Here!

9. gregger

What will this do to my LR?

THanks

10. gregger

Thanks - I think Im gonna bite the bullet on this one. Wish there was a way to use the LR again? If that method is not possible or time friendly then new LR and LS it is.

11. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Once you nuke it there is nothing live about it anyways and in order for a cycle to take place you either need damsels(I am covering up before people start throwing things..This was the old way of doing it), or you need the LR and LS to do the cycle. Oh I almost forgot you could buy the biocycle stuff.

12. gregger

Anything to do with the old stuff?