Clean up crew dead right away???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gregger, Mar 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gregger

gregger Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Karma to you for that :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. gregger

They did move around then dropped off like flies. They literally fell off the glass.

4. gregger

I am having the lfs test all water levels today. I will let you all know what they find and post the results.

5. gregger

Update: LFS found Ph to be at 8.7. Im guessing this is what did it?

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

This may sound like a dumb question but...you did treat your water before using it, right? As in de-chlorinate it and such? Also, if your water is distilled, well distilleries often use copper pipes. Even at TRACE amounts, copper kills inverts.

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

And yes your pH is a little high but that wouldn't kill them so quickly like that. It would be something else if your pH was in the 7s or something but I have even heard of people who had their pH go as high as like 9.2 and it didn't wipe everything out. It's not good, but it isn't a death sentence. High pH, I mean. Low pH is, though.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm not sure on the pH so I won't comment on that.

But, with my snails/crabs, I only floated them for 15-20 minutes and dumped them in.

After you floated them (to warm them), you dripped for an hour or more. Did you refloat them sometimes? The drip method doesn't keep them warm. So if you dripped for an hour and didn't refloat, they may have been shocked by the temp...

I've never had a turbo, but all my other snails took between one and three days before they were active.

Do you have a grounding probe as asked earlier? Stray current could take out inverts fairly easily.

I would be concerned with using drinking water. It's often fortified with 'stuff' - could have something in it. I might want to add a test fish or crab to see if same thing happens... if it does, change out water, start over(???)... I hope not!

Lastly, I don't think the tank was ready, everything else notwithstanding. Two weeks isn't very long at all and I don't think the cycle would be done. Cycles can sometimes roller coaster. I waited until I could see several weeks of 0 ammonia/nitrites before I added anything just to be safe and sure it was stable.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Oh yea, I forgot about the cycle! How could I?!?!

2 weeks is absolutely not enough time. Even for a clean up crew (CUC). But they still shouldn't have dropped off so instantaneously, I say.

11. gregger

I forgot to mention that I had them test for copper. It came back 0.

12. gregger

After the drip I did let them adjust to the water temp again by floating the bad.

I guess I was wrong that a diatom bloom meant the final stages of a cycle.

I should get a grounding rod to be safe.

Even with all that aside should my water have killed them so quickly? They were done fast!