Clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by mad_kangaroo, Jul 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm temporarily managing a LFS and about a month ago I made a mistake. One of the order sheets had fantastic prices on 2 to 3 inch clams so I brought a bunch in. When they arrived, I realized my mistake. The order sheet was in CENTIMETERS not INCHES. There were maybe two out of the bunch that are one inch....all of the rest are smaller.

I put them in a 24gallon aquapod nano so they wouldn't get lost in all of the 700 gallon tanks. I fed them DT's once on the first day. Then a customer left the refridgerator door open and ruined our entire shipment of DT's phyto. We never put in a re-order for live phyto and not only are all of them alive, they are not gaping, and they are growing well. The only food inputs are food for the two damsels that share the tank with them. Many of them have even been sold to other aquapod owners (The ones with the retrofit MH's vs normal PC lighting).

While I won't claim to be an expert on clams, these guys are putting down new shell and I'm doing nothing but turning on and off the lights daily and feeding two damsels daily.

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

no a in the name :)

MegaDeth

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Guys, as a person that sells phytoplankton it would be in my finincial interest to tell you clams under X size have to be fed phyto to live. Not only would I be wrong in saying so, I'd be flat out lying since I have seen the latest studies on baby giant clams.

ChrisANdBarb is more up on the studies then I. You really should listen to what he is saying. He's very connnected in the giant clam world, just head on over to Clams Direct and you'll see him offerring advice on bahalf of CD as a moderator.

While old studies and books may have printed one thing current science has shown the opposite.

While feeding baby clams isn't a bad idea IMO, it's not a requirement. I've kept baby maximas with and with out phyto. I got better growth on the phyto feed, but the non grew and thrived :)

Most clam farms do not feed phyto to their baby giant clams. One farm I've seen in detail filterred all water prior to the livestock section. While some phyto may ahve gotten thru, the clams basicly grow on sunlight alone.

5. aobrosky

aobrosky Plankton

I have a 15 gallon tank with 2x65w power compact. The Tank it a total of 12in deep. Is 8.5 wpg enough for a clam?