Clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by mad_kangaroo, Jul 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

OK first off Who the F**k is Dr. Ron ???? This info is coming from my experience and not from one individual link I fell upon and equated it to be the absolute gospel sent down from the Gods Second of all I think you should read that link you posted a little closer, And hold back your attitude ............ John

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I didn't twist your words YOU DID

4. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

Dr. Ron= Ron Shimek

you are pulling things from this article DT'S PLANKTON FARM - Natural Reef Diet Oyster Eggs & Live Marine Phytoplankton

specifically from this paragraph

Natural selection acts to minimize unnecessary costs. If clams from Tridacna or Hippopus species didn’t need to feed, the feeding structures would be eliminated. There are a number of clams that live totally on the byproducts of symbiotic bacteria living on their gills. These clams are totally gutless. The fact that every Tridacna and Hippopus individual has a good and functional feeding apparatus ABSOLUTELY PROVES that they need to feed.

this is your statement

Tridacnid clams Are filter feeding animals that have a fully Functional digestive system!! So it stands to reason that they must feed on something,

this article was written FOR Dt's as a sales tool for phytoplankton and is full of crap;)

you are confusing the fact that they have a fully functioning digestive system with the need to filter feed. the zoox that lives in there mantle produce glucose that feed the clam. the clam still NEEDS a digestive system to process this. the clam still NEEDS a digestive system to expel waste.the clam still NEEDS this to collect new zoox. clams will also periodically eat the zoox themselves, they do this in there digestive system.

saying that clams(at any size)can fully support them selves on light isnt saying they dont need there digestive system or even that they dont filter some food from the water. as long as there is dissolved organic material(not particulate) in the water and appropriate light for the zoox to feed on (and in turn feed the clam)the clam will be fine.

ive been keeping clams for 8 years and have done extensive research on them for the last 5. you should check out this book Liquid Medium

i dont appreciate the profanity and i think the attitude is comming from you::)

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Yay for chris (or barb)!

If you really wanna argue fletch, talk to Barry over at clamsdirect forums

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Sorry To answer your question I would say if all your parameters are in check and stable I would say yes you are good to go with your clam

8. Click Here!

9. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

Well, I am feeding my corals a mixture of zooplankton, phytoplankton and cyclo-plees. My flame scallop has been enjoying the feedings. So with the multiple plankton variations and the light, I am gathering that I should be fine.

On a similar but sperate topic, one of the guys at my LFS was trying to tell me how to breed my owh phyto's..... but he was quite stoned. Anyone hear of this or try it on thier own. He said it costs him abour $1 to make the same amount as the large bottle of DT's (39$ here). Only difference is DT's is 4 different varieties instead of just 1.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

11. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

double post

12. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

you crack me up;D that poster never asked," should i feed my clams". they already had the food and were asking how much to add::) i also suggested to add 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommendation. why? because our little glass box's aren't like the ocean. our tanks are inherently much more nutrient rich then a healthy reef. im getting the feeling you just aren't going to get it:-/

here are a few posts you might like (my screen name on RC is mbbuna)

Reef Central Online Community - How many of you feed phyto to your clams? If so, drip? How?

this one by critterkeeper(James Fatherree) you might like

Reef Central Online Community - Can Small Clams Live without Supplimental Feedings

heres James Fatherree, Charles Delbeek

Reef Central Online Community - Feeding baby clams

please dont try to present things out of context
    for me this isn't a I win you win thing. i want people to have good info so they can take care of the creatures they keep.