clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by blackreef13, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Hmmm, since they need to be fed daily, I guess I better tell 3 of my once baby clams 2" tops that they should have died about a year ago.

You do not need to feed small clams phyto. They will benefit from it, but it is not necessary.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Hmmm, could you try that again so I can, perhaps, understand your meaning?

Yea right- tell mother nature this- feed them not, and see what happens- yet adlib "feed them will be of benifit"- which is it- feed them or don't- or do you really have any clue? What is any clams typical growth rate in the wild- do you even know- because I don't, I can only guess- show me proof of growth rates?

Have you read what you have written- vrs. that which I have clearly stated, vrs what started this "arguement"? Apparently not.

Please read before you post - it makes a big difference. Even the person that mis-quoted his statement has PM'ed me with his reasoning and agreement to what I state- and yet you still wish to argue?

Pics?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I purchased a 2" maxima 6 months ago and now its 3". No feeding ;D

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Use your brain and fix the single typo that you could easily figure out what it was supposed to be. Stop just being an ass for once. Mainy people are tired of you being such an ass.

I did read the entire thread. All I saw was you attacking other members claiming they have no clue about what they are talking about.

W.T.F. do pics have anything to do with this?

2 people like this.
  6. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

Stop using those dang dashes! Why don't you grow up and learn how to use sentences!

1 person likes this.
  7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Sounds like I should probably stay out of this one, LOL!

I have personally had some very small clams in my time...both on the business side and in my personal tanks...none where ever specifically fed anything other that what came from stirring the sand, cleaning the glass and feeding fish and corals...the tiny ones fared just as well as the medium and huge ones...at some point a few years ago, someone started the theory that small clams "have" to be fed in order to survive...for some reason that theory stuck and is one of those reefing myths that is constantly being perpetuated...this is interesting timing for this thread as I was just reading a study a few days ago by the Marine Sciences Research Center at Stony Brook University on juvenile clam growth and mortality. Basically it found that clams fed live Phyto did display somewhat better growth rates and slightly lower mortality rates...growth rates and mortality with refrigerated or other non-live phyto showed no difference over unfed controls.

To take it a step further, there are actually some studies that say typical methods of target feeding for clams can cause more stress than it does good...placing the clam in a container or placing a container over the clam or simply using a turkey baster approach to force the clam to take in large amounts of phyto has actually been shown to pose a risk of "clogging" or "choking" the gills of the clam.

In short everything I've seen/read seems to point to some level of benefit if feeding appropriate amounts of live phyto...anything else is of little use and potentially even harmful since most hobbyists will likely overfeed.

To the OP...I concur with the suggestion of a derasa or squamosa for your first foray in clams...while many may find the maxima and crocea more attractive they are typically a bit more demanding...I would also suggest not placing a clam in a tank until params have been stable for 6mos.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

Thank you Reef-a-Holic for clearing this up for some people. That is what I had said but from a more experienced person.

10. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Well I'm not trying to get in the middle of anything, LOL!

Just trying to help out in an area that I have some knowledge and research in.

11. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

K+ lol

12. progman2000

progman2000 Astrea Snail

It's amazing how juvenile a 46yr old can act.