clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by blackreef13, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Curious, have you ever raised any of these critters? If so then you know what I stated to be true. Do otherwise at your own peril. That article you propose as a factual source, is not factual, it is one tank among many- based upon opinion- do the same study in 500 individual aquariums- you'll then see what is actually tried and true.

But believe what you want.

Again. do as you like at your own (and the clams peril).

To the O/P, listen to what I tell you- it is correct. Better safe then sorry.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yes, I work in a retail store that has many clams in displays and also handles clams of every species constantly. I also work as a service tech for many tanks with all clam species in them. What I say is based on watching several hundred clams over time and seeing what works and doesn't.

The articles I wrote is all based on James Fatherree's book Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium which is based on numerous scientific studies done under controlled circumstances. If it hadn't been based on their research, I certainly would not have stated it as fact.

4. alpha_03

Yes a controlled group test methodology- that you personally have no experience with. Does this make it a fact? And again explain this to the new clam owner- present this as fact? Are you serious? There are very few facts in this hobie for the most part, and you should be well aware of this- given your experience level.

By far the Dressea is the least demanding of all the clam species for the aquarium trade- even more so then the Squamossa, do you know why this is?

I have raised many clams over the years- the longest lived are the Deressa's.

Search this fourm- you will find many pic's of my clams in my tanks- proof is in the pic's.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm going to stop before this becomes an argument and before we get further off track from what was asked.

For the poster of the question, though we're not in agreement about where our info came from, both alpha and I agree that deresas are the toughest and least demanding of clams. They truly are the best clams to get started with and there are many others that are great to be added to your collection later.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Now see here you go again, alpha making assumptions about others.

mikejrice, is absolutely correct in that Crocea is actually considered one of the more sensitive clams and not really for someone that has never had a clam or knows nothing about them. A Derasa or Squamosa is a much better choice for someone new to clams.

We can all whip out our my clam is bigger than yours and go on all day, but do we
    really have to.

This is not a personal attack, but come on enough already.

7. alpha_03

Heh, and there you go again Corailline, either you're not fully reading what has been written, or, you lack of understanding what was written. There is no reason for a personal attack- I do not know this person, nor do I have reason for what you present - but perhaps you do? I know from personal experience what is true- so I write about it. Understand, critters that I actually own and have many years of experience with- contrary to the previous- where they go out the door with-in a few days to a week- explain this long term experience to me? It's really easy to maintain ANY critter for a few weeks, but try a few years- then get back to me.

Please try. I would say more, but I don't need to, you have said it all.

8. Click Here!

9. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

Please don't act like you are the god of clams. (not trying to start an argument but I just hate when people say they are correct and and other people are just wrong.) Clams don't have to be fed to survive but it is beneficial to feed them as it will give you a much better success rate at keeping the clams alive.

10. alpha_03

Please dont add fuel to a fire unless you have more/additional knowledge then the previous- might do you well in the future- posting nothing but personal opinion about a post has no purpose- save to show your bias.

Think about it.

11. xxredxpandaxx

I did add something, the fact about you don't have to feed them but it will help, if people did research they would find the same thing, that you don't have to feed them but that it will help.

12. xxredxpandaxx

I am done posting here after this message so to blackreef13 get a clam =] they are awesome and are very beautiful. I suggest that you dose your tank with some phyto about once a week. (thats what I do and everything in my tank is growing wonderfully) =]