clams through the years

Discussion in 'Clams' started by stylaster, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

How about water quality? Most people know of their need for calcium, but do they require pristene conditions or are some nutrients present ok? What about nitrate levels, and does this also change with the clams size?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

clams are actually great natural filters. They do a great job of filtering algae and plankton out of the water coloumn. They also house a great number of zooanthalae and will actually use nitrate and phosphate up in a system. They dont use a lot you need to still keep your nitrates below 15-20 ppm. They thrive best in an SPS style system. There have been several tanks that use clams as a filtration media instead of skimmers, but you would have to have a light bioload and a lot of clams. As the clams get larger they will depend less upon filter feeding and rely more upon their zooanthalle for energy needs. They will also slow down their outward growth rate and concentrate more into thickening their shells. You do need to make sure to keep ontop of your calcium and alk levels, clams are huge users of calcium carbonate for shell building

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That blue squamosa is outstanding. I'd love to get my grubby little paws on one of those!

5. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

Those are great clams! Lemme ask you a question. I put my first maxima in my 75 under 150 mh's about 6 wks ago. He's about 2.5 inches, so I'm putting phyto in the tank. He came attached to a small piece of artifical rock/plastic/?expoxy that the breeder grows them on. How do I get him to move onto a rock? I don't want to damage him by trying to cut the byssal material.

Thanks!

6. SantanzChild

SantanzChild Plankton

I love those blue ones in the first pick. Might have to look into a few of them eventually never even thought about clams.

7. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

if you dont want to cut him off his base, the bysuss threads btw can be cut without harm to the clam, just dont cut the foot. all you can do is place him where you want and hope he moves on his own

8. Click Here!

9. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Very beautiful.. !!
    And I also love the blue squamosa !!!

Larry

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Is the last one a Maxima?

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

very nice collection