Clams on the run

Discussion in 'Clams' started by coral reefer, Jan 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi reefers,
    I just rencetly purchased a Squamosa and a Durasa clam about a month ago. They are, or should I say, were positioned in the sand at the bottom of my tank. Why don't they stay in the same place? It seems that every day i'm placing them back in the sand because they are always on their side. They are very healthy thus far but what can I do to get them to set up in one place and stay there!!!?
    One other thing. How often, and how much food do I feed clams. How quick can two baby clams deplete a tank of nutrients such as calcium and strontium?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
    thanks,
    tom

2. Click Here!

3. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Could you give us a litle info on your tank, lighting etc?
    Small clams (under 3") are more dependant on feeding because they are not large enough to suport themselves

4. snake

snake Astrea Snail

clams will tend to move about. they will find a " happy place " sooner or later, just give them time.

5. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

kb.bear is correct. Baby clams need to be spot fed. I had a little blue Maxima from the time it was about 1 1/2 inches long. I cut the bottom off of a small soda bottle and inverted it over the clam and fed it DT's for quite awhile. It is now about 4 inches long and gorgeous!

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hey all,
    Thanks for replying. My two clams are in a 30gal.hex with 175watt(10,000k) mh. and (2)28 watt 50/50 and 10000k pc. I have a Sealife Systems protein skimmer and a bio wheel emperor hang-on filter, with two powerheads for water movement. I have been target feeding the clams with Kent's Zooplex, Rotifers, Oyster eggs, and DT's phytoplankton.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I know someone who has a clam and it too tilted, well I noticed he tilted to stick his foot on the rock nearby. He could just be taking to the nearest rock.