Clams Mantel starting to look white

Discussion in 'Clams' started by leighton1245, May 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Thanks Alpha i have 2 24" 4bulb T5's so I moved him up and ill keep a eye on him.

Im going to do a water change and start dosing with Calc from BRS.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

It's definitely bleaching...doubt ca has much to do with it. Mantle coloration is completely controlled by the symbiotic algae in the tissues which are photosynthetic. Also, good mantle extension alone isn't the best indication of health- it's trying to get the most surface area to capture light. Don't panic though, all isn't lost :). Clams can recover from bleaching.

If thats a crocea it should definitely not be on the sandbed under your lighting. Move it up, as was already suggested,and monitor...but do give it time. They loose coloration faster than they regain it. GL

5. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Pyramid snails would not effect color like that...plus we inspect our clams very closely and while not impossible I don't have any in our clam tanks that I'm aware of...I would agree that lighting is the most likely culprit...blue/purple Crocea clams are extremely high light animals...the tank that clam came out of was lit by T5's with ATI Blue Plus and Aquablue Special bulbs...but the tank is only about 8" deep...it looks healthy otherwise, so I would expect it to recover given time and enough light.

6. leighton1245

Thank you and you are correct no snails it was just to low in my tank it sets about 8" down now in my 75 so its slowly recovering color. :)

7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Awesome!