Clams Mantel starting to look white

Discussion in 'Clams' started by leighton1245, May 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

There is one spot on my clams mantel that is looking a little white today, should I be concerned? I cant get a picture cause you cant really tell the difference unless you look closely but there is no gaping.

[​IMG]

The spot is right in the middle next to the bright white spot of sand.

[​IMG]

Looked like this on7 May

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It does look like it maybe bleach a little to me, in that area. The mantel looks fully extended, the intake siphon is not gaping. It may just be a shift in coloration secondary to acclimating to your lighting. This is the new tank right? And the clam is newer?

What lighting and parameters please?

IME sometimes they will brown with an increase in phosphates or stress.

4. leighton1245

Yes the tank is new cause my old one got broken and the clam is only about week and a half old to my tank.

Lighting is aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 1xATI Blue special, 1 xPurple plus, 2xblub plus .

Params:

Nitrates 0ppm
    Phos 0ppm
    Calc 380 - maybe this ? was 440 when I put the clam in
    dKH 9
    Mg 1520
    Ph 8.3
    SG 1.025
    Temp 78.7 steady

Lighting schedule- Blue special and Purple plus 9am-5pm, blue plus 8am - 8pm, moon lights 8pm to 6am

5. Corailline

I see no issues with the parameters at all, I kept clams for years with that Ca level, granted as it grows you will have to monitor the ca, alk closer, but those look fine.

Lighting looks good as long as the bulbs are not really old. When you look at the clam from above rather than from the side do you see the same lighter area?

Hopefully someone else will chime in regarding the specifics of the lighting schedule.

6. leighton1245

Yes its still there from the top :( but he is still very reactive to movement. Could sand in his mantle stress him? I also have a lawnmower blenny but has only bothered him once just stays away now. Thank you for the help :)

7. Corailline

I can not address the lawnmower blenny other to say, I have seen some post lately of them attacking clams, but that is just a bit mark. I have had gobies dump sand on my clams without issue (as long as it was not routine).

Please let us know how the clam is doing in the next day or so. Also look for any information your can from Danial Knop and others specializing in clams.

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

10. leighton1245

It looks worse today but still extending fully, My clam is still on the sand bed maybe I should move it up higher?

11. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Howdy leighton,

Place the clam on a rock that he can fit into nicley (leave room for him to open) and move him half way up the tank.

I have the cameo clam in the big tank at about this level and he loves it, the other crocea in the 45 is about 6 inches off the bottom and is also doing quite well.

I would not be to worried yet, but if he stops opening, then be concerned.

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I would increase the calcium IMO. I keep mine system at 480-530, but in general should be in the mid 400s.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk