Clams and T-5's

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Black_Raven, May 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I just spoke with Barry of Clams Direct and asked him about HO T-5 lighting and keeping clams. He stated that many of his customers use HO T-5 lights and keep clams without problems. I specifically asked him about T.Crocea clams the most light demanding and he stated that they should be ok as long as they are not on the bottom of the tank. Now I only asked him about my T-5 set up which is 8x54watt bulbs. He also recomended using 10k bulbs.

I hope this helps people considering HO T-5 fixtures. In my book MH's are the way to go, but I have heat issues with my reef tank because its in a loft.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

IMO, lighting is a major issure in keeping clams...but not the ONLY issue! Water parameters, nutrient levels and water flow which MUST be moderate at the least, with turbulent flows periodically and the avoidance of laminar(straight line) direct stream water flow!
    Now, having said this, Crocea and Maxima's are the most difficult of the Tridacna's to keep. They should be positioned higher up in your tank and situated among the live rock and not in the benthic area of your tank. Unlike their counterparts, Hippopus, Derasa, Gigas and Squamosa clams which should be placed in the substrate area of your tank.
    Remember also, that theire are many variables that will affect the amount of photosynthetically available radiation(PAR) that is absorbed by clams, and corals as well as other symbiotic invertebrates. DOM, turbidity, glass tops, suspended matter and particles as well as plain salt water, all play a part in the refracting of light back into the environment, which in essence decreases the amount of needed light for zooxanthellae to process this light as energy and as an end result produces ammonium which is a needed food for corals and clams!

Let us know how things go with the clam aquasition!!!

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Excellent info on clams and goes along with most of the info I could find on the net about clams. The people at clamsdirect.com are very helpful and they have a good forum for clam husbandry.

I'll keep posting how my T.Crocea is doing under my T-5's. Currently I have 4x10K bulbs and 4x460nm actinics. I will be switching to 3x10K, 1x6500K, 1xsuperactinic blue, 1x11k (60%blue and 40% daylight), 1xsuperactinic and 1x460nm actinic.
    I may have to drop the 11k and just go with another 10k. I am also not using any type of canopy or glass top.