Clams and Metal Halides

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MagReef, Jan 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

I finally bit the budget and got a metal halide fixture! ;D My fixture has 2 250 watt MH and 4 96 watt actinic lights. I have a dersa and a crocea clam. I am pretty sure it is a crocea clam. Can I put the rock that the crocea is on - on the sand? or does it need to be closer to the top? It is on the sand now, but under the MH. As for the dersa, its on a flat rock that I buried in the sand so that it looks like it is on the sand and it too is under the MH.

Am I doing it right?

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Congrats! -- nice light system.

Clams should be fine (and do well under them) -- easy to tell if they are happy or not.

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My fiend keeps his under 400 watts of MH. They look awesome..

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have my Clams under 2(250 watt DE HQI's) with great results!
    One Crocea is 1/2 way up in my tank with one of my Baby Maxima's, while my large Squamosa, and two other Maxima's are on the bottom in the substrate on a piece of small rock!
    You should be fine where you have them!
    Good Luck!

6. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

Granted my tank is shollow in comparison to many, I keep my 2 crocea's on the bottom. I have a 40g 14"in depth. The 150w metal halide sits 6" above the water surface. They are happy as a clam. (pun intended)