clam vs dwarf angel

Discussion in 'Clams' started by eelgirl, Jan 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eelgirl

eelgirl Feather Duster

i have a dwarf bicolor angel we are thinking about getting a clam to complete the tank. but i heard the angels pecking can cause lethal damage. whats your take on this? any advice would be helpful.

2. Click Here!

3. AdamD

AdamD Astrea Snail

It's really just your choice. It may work, it may not. If you have other inverts, has your angel bothered them? If he hasnt he may not bother the clam. Individual fish are different (they all have different personalities) so your angel may not bother the clam or he may kill it. If you really want a clam, the angel doesnt bother other inhabitants in the tank, and you are willing to take the risk then you could try it.
    You may want to have a seperate tank or area where you can put the clam if your fish does end up nipping at it.

4. eelgirl

eelgirl Feather Duster

the only problem iv had with her was the joker acan we just bought. she killed it within a few days..caught her pecking at it. but other than that iv never had an issue with her. we have two empty smaller tanks right now that just have liverock in them..not sure what my boyfriends plan is for those but im sure he wouldnt mind refuging the clam if we have a problem til we find a better solution. thanks!

5. AdamD

AdamD Astrea Snail

6. eelgirl

eelgirl Feather Duster

also should i worry about my snowflake eel? or my lionfish? they dont seem to bother anything keep to themselves mostly..but the clam is going to be a pretty large purchase and we are taking a lot of time deciding which one we want. i want to make sure this isnt a completely bad idea.

7. AdamD

AdamD Astrea Snail

i dont know about eels or lion fish but just like with the angel you should keep an eye out if you do get it. I would spend a lot of time observing it when you first put it in. I think the angel is going to pose a bigger threat than the other 2.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it's hit or miss. I've read (so take that for what it's worth) that bi color pygmys are 'more often' bad w/clams than others but... Just be prepared to move one or the other just in case...

Good luck.

FWIW, i would take the risk and try it out.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I wanted to swap my Coral Beauty for a Bi-color and when I went to my LFS (which I trust 100%, very knowledgeable) they told me no way. They said the bi-color has a much more likely chance to become a coral eater than other dwarves. I have read a good amount of owners that claim the same, but you never know. I guess if normal dwarfs are 50/50, the bi-color might be more 70/30 in terms of "will it be a nipper of corals, clams".

I still want one of course :) but prob won't chance it decimating my pom poms and other softies and Maxima.

11. eelgirl

eelgirl Feather Duster

i absolutely love my bicolor shes my baby. the first fish we got. and shes still going strong (unlike the other firsts that didnt make it). as i said before the only coral she has destroyed was my joker acan. the clam will definately be the one to go if a problem occurs. but my boyfriend said we can build one of the smaller tanks around the clam if that happens. i believe one of them is going to be all coral no fish anyway. so i think we are going to go for it. thanks for all the advice. & good luck with ur decision on trading angels.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks! I always do the opposite of what I'm told :) so I'll probably attempt one. What other types of corals do you have in the tank the angel is in? I don't have anything uber expensive but I have GSP, Pom poms, mushrooms, leathers, zoas, some Monti, I forget what else. I don't have any brains, acans, or favia.

I'm in CT too btw!