Clam under T5's?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Jmblec2, Oct 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I'm keeping my Tridacna Corcea under 4x24w t5ho. Up top about 11" from lights-8" from surface. She seems very happy :)

2. Click Here!

3. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

I've had a dark blue maxima at the bottom of my 125 for 2+years. I have 6 54w T5's staggered over that tank. The clam has grown significantly in that time. I do run all ATI bulbs which have higher PAR output than most other T5's.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Derasas can live on rocks, but they don't attach well. The can also live on sand. Usually sand is safer though as, since they don't attach well to rocks, there is less chance of them falling and getting injured on the sand.

Also BTW derasas don't always tolerate as much light as other clams, so, that is another reason to keep them low sometimes. I believe the golden toned ones are more light tolerant IIRc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thanks for all the input. So what are my options for sand only, I am a bit confused with all the names being thrown around.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You can safely keep any clam you want on the sand bed.;) I have two less bulbs then you and they aren't even good bulbs.(Corallife)

1 person likes this.