Clam under T5's?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Jmblec2, Oct 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hello,

I have a 90 gallon tank with a 6X 54W T5 fixture with individual reflectors. Will have high quality bulbs in 3 months.

My LFS said it might be tough to keep a clam under that.

My question to you fine folks is: Can I keep a clam under my T5's? What clams gives me the best chance for success? can I place it on the sand bed?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

That should be enough light for a clam.. But where to place it will depend upon which type of clam you get...

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

^ this. The bulbs will make a decent amount of difference, so I would at least wait until then. I think you could safely keep a Derasa, or Squamosa clam with the lights you listed. I've had a Derasa double in size, and retain color in 1 year under the same t-5s you listed.

Probably could keep a Maxima or Crocea just fine, so long as they aren't on the sand bed. Top 2/3rds I'd say.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can keep any clam you want with the lights. Maximas and croceas are rock borers and should be kept on the rocks. You should be able to keep them in the top 2/3 of the tank easily. The rest of the species are sand dwellers and will be fine in the sand.

6. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

7. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

As already mentioned, you'll be fine, just get good bulbs and make sure your parms are OK. I've had 2 derasas under a 6x54W (mostly ATI bulbs) for 3 years. When I got them they were about 2-3", I had to get rid of one at 12" not too long ago and the one I have left is growing like crazy now that it has a bit more room in the tank. It's about 11" now.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Yes, it will be fine as I have a derasa clam in a 65g under 6 bulbs of T5 (the 90 and 65 are the same depth)

Derasa clams are also rock boring if I'm not mistaken 2in10

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I have a 90 with a 4 bulb t5 fixture. I've had a squamosa and a maxima on the sand bed for almost a year.;)

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Well said.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers
    Sent from Tapatalk

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think they start there and then jump to the sand. Most that are offered for sale are already sand dwellers I believe.