clam spawning?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by derek17, Dec 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. derek17

derek17 Plankton

i was told by someone that if more than one clam is kept in a tank that they would release eggs and/or seimen and try to spawn, and that this spawning could "nuke" your tank, is this true? i do not have any tridacnas, but i am in the market and would like to have a few smaller ones rather than 1 larger one.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have 5 clams ranging in size for 4 inches to 9 inches and never had a problem.

I have heard of spawning taking place after shipment. A couple of retailers have received orders of clams and during acclimation the entire order begins to spawn.

J

4. derek17

derek17 Plankton

what causes them to spawn? stress from shipment?

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

could be any number of factors
    I was told it was a full moon the night the shipment came in.

J

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Clams spawn in response to lunar cycles and primarily in the months JUL-OCT. Simple stresses such as heat or salinity change will trigger spawns. And this is really nothing to worry about or do major water changes .
    I have had several to spawn in a tank and its just food and a skimmer will go crazy like it does when the snails have a little get together at the waters surface every yr or so. If its just one doing what they there is nothing to worry about unless its a 5 gal tank and loaded up and not running carbon.. That would do you as well as a good skimmer.
    Tweak your salinity and or mess with the water temperature and increase or decrease your lighting and they will spawn also it can be simply chemically induced ..This is what i did when i had a spawning system set up tank was built to look like a rat maze.. all the water with sperm and eggs had to pass over and around every clam in the system..:)

But with what you have going one its nothing to worry about at all. You will always find the chicken littles of the world around different boards. Oh my God look the sky is falling :eek: No matter what the problem is or was Massive water changes I guess they work for salt makers LOL ???

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I've never heard of clam eggs being toxic. They sell oyster eggs to be fed in the tank, so why would clam eggs be any different? The cucumber eggs are the ones that are toxic to fish, but not coral.

8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

The worst that could happen is an batch of babies-

10. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

It's like everything else, too much will be a bad thing. I've gone through mass clam spawning events and it was incredible.

You feed oyster eggs. You don't feed oyster eggs so much that you can't see 2 inches into the tank because the oyster eggs are so dense.

Hasn't anyone seen my bristleworm spawning video? It was the same thing. Turned a system of almost 1000 gallons to whole milk in 5 minutes.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't think you posted your bristleworm spawning video JP?

12. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp