Clam question

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Tyslin, Mar 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

Hey people,

I am starting a new setup in a week or so, and I wanted some opinions and thoughts on getting a Clam. I have a 90 gal tank w/corner overflow, megaflow sump, turboflotor skimmer, and magdrive 1800 return pump. I have 4 inch DSB, 90lbs of live rock and 2x250 MH with 2x54 T5's. I wanted my first buy to be a Clam or several clams, 3 hopefully. I guess I have several questions. Once the tank is cycled, I am going to wait another 2 months and get the clams, does my tank need to be more mature in order to get the clams, if so how long should I wait until I get some. If 2 months is ok then what type would you recommend for me? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

Another question is the amount of lighting enough for me to keep the clams anywhere in my tank, i.e sand bed?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great set-up, sounds familiar.;D You have the right lighting. Im sorry, you have (2) 250w or (2) 150w?

5. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

2 (250w)MH, yeah I saw that. What sort of clams do you have?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I only have one, to be honest, I dont remember the name. I'm not good with names.

7. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

So what so you think about my post any thoughts?

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

After your cycled, I would wait another 6 months before getting any calms. Clams need intense lighting, like MH's and good cal levels. If your going to have a reef tank, try to keep it away from other corals that might sting it. You should also get a good testing kit.

10. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

Another thing to keep in mind is your fish selection. Make sure none of your "dream fish" are mantle nippers!

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great point

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Clams need good light and very stable water conditions...

I have a Tridacna crocea which I like very much. They come in wonderful and sometimes "electric" colors. It is one of the hardiest clams to keep.

It is one of the smallest "giant" clams and will probably not get more the 6" in your aquarium, which is a good thing. Others will easily outgrow your tank, and fast.

Here is mine. Has been with me a long time. It is a good friend to me and everyone else in tank.

[​IMG]

Info See: Crocea Clam Electric at The Marine Center

Clams Direct to shop...

Great animal! ;D