Clam lighting requirements questions

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Jay, Mar 23, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

this as very interesting as i hope to keep an assortment of these animals is there a limit as to how many can be kept together?? sorry for the hijack......

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

As long as you have the proper lighting and food for clams, you can keep as many as you like :)

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

happy to hear that!!!! thanks

5. MagReef

MagReef Flamingo Tongue

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 520 watt Orbit PC. This is about 6 watts per gallon. I was told only MH for clams. Is this true? Or does someone have success with PC?

6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

People do have success with PC, however they have WAY less penetrating power compared to T5 or halides. I think you would be fine as long as you dont put the clam in the sand bed (crocea or maxima). I'd say any clam would be happy in your tank given they are placed properly. Check out amcarrig's article - it is stickied under clams i believe.

7. flounder

flounder Astrea Snail

I too have a 55 gallon with 2 55watt actinic pc + 4 54watt t5 6500 k. Will this be enough for a T.Squamosa to thrive?

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Hi, its been a while since I've posted or visited the forum. I've been busy with work, a sick mother and my other hobby, hi end audio! (if anyone ever wants to talk audio equipment, PM me, its one of my other passions)

I thought I would give an update on how my Blue T. Crocea and Derasa clams are doing in my 75 gal under HO T-5 8x55 light fixture are doing. Both clams are doing well and growing like weeds. I was concerned about the crocea but it seems to be thriving under this type of lighting. My fixture uses the single reflector and I would not have any reservations about recommending it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  10. Black_Raven

Hey flounder, you really need 10K bulbs. Talk to Barry at Clams Direct I would switch to 3-4 10K bulbs and 2 actinic. Clams really do better IMO under 10k lighting especially if you are not using MH's.

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Glad your clams are doing well. Very informative thread...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  12. Black_Raven

Mag Reef, go with Derasa clams and squamosa if you can find them. They will do well in that kind of lighting. Maxima and crocea, especailly the blue variety will need to be kept about 1/2 up the tank and you will need to make sure you have plenty of 10k lighting and change your bulbs every 6 months. You will also need a 12hr photo period to keep the Mxima's and Crocea's.